• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit style Lapel Question

sweisman

Reaction score
This Armani suit, is about 8 years old, and although the picture does it no justice the fabric is tremendous and it's in great condition. I need to have it taken in if I am going to wear it, due to weight loss... My question is regarding the lapels...For 2008 standards are they too wide? I'm thinking it may need to be set out to pasture. Thanks ahead for your thoughts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To be honest, the cut of that suit is so unusual in so many ways, that if I were at all inclined to wear it I would not worry about the width of the lapels. Even if they were narrower, the suit would still stand out. Just enjoy it for what it is.

houserichichi

Reaction score
Honestly, the lapels look too wide to my eyes, the gorge looks too low, the breast pocket is too low, the besom pockets are not my cup of tea and also look low, the button stance looks too low. I agree with Manton, wear it for what it is but I wouldn't invest a fortune in alterations; I'd just go muster a new suit.

But don't take my word for it.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, you should take that cane, and beat whoever made that suit to death.

That suit was wrong when it got made, and time has not made it right.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the lapels are too wide, even by 1988 standards. Perhaps 1978...

sweisman

Reaction score
Too pasture it goes...Thanks for the encouragement to euthanize it, I was feeling that way myself. I must have been caught up in the Giorgio Armani name in my younger days. How else could I have been so blind to those lapels.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you sure that the suit is only 8 years old? That would mean the suit is from 2000.

I'm surprised that even Armani would have been doing a 2-4 DB, low gorge, low button stance, ventless suit in 2000.

You could sell it on Ebay if you are so inclined.

sweisman

Reaction score
My wife just confirmed I got it in 97. Good call...It's been in the back of the closet for a LONG time. If the fabric wasn't so nice, I wouldn't have even thrown it out there for opinions. I'll probably donate it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads