• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Sleeves w/ working buttons

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
Looking to have a suit jacket's sleeves shortened; from my research here it appears that to do this it needs to be shortened from the shoulder area. On average how much would something like this cost and how likely is it that the jacket will be ruined
confused.gif

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The price is inversely proportionate to the risk.

A good tailor may charge $80 and there is a 95% chance it'll work.

A poor tailor could charge $25 and there is a 60% chance it'll work.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How is that inverse?

If there is a pattern it wont match up anymore taking it from the shoulder. Yikes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
How is that inverse?
He said price is inverse to the risk. The percentages he mentioned are the chance it will work, which are themselves the inverse of the risk. Lower cost = higher risk, higher cost = lower risk. That's pretty clearly an inverse relationship...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crap you're right, that is what I get for trying to type and read while on a conference call.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
no its solid navy....I havent bought it yet but Its a good deal and everything will fit except I prob need to shorten teh sleeves a half inch or so. Just scared to ruin the jacket.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half an inch may be worth doing from the cuff. If there is about 2" from button to cuff, then reducing it to 1.5" wont make much of a difference visually.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
Half an inch may be worth doing from the cuff. If there is about 2" from button to cuff, then reducing it to 1.5" wont make much of a difference visually.

+1

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score

I do not think I can...i believe its the standard 1.25" from the cuff to the button. Im just estimating on the .50: im not positive as I have not tried the jacket on...however it could be .50-1.00

Should I stay away from buying the suit b/c of this even it i can get it for a great deal?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
It's a huge risk for a couple reasons:

1) If the sleeve tapers quickly, the tailor will be forced to turn the sleeve in a little in order to match the width of the armhole with the sleeve head.

2) The should tends to loose it's original shape. In my experience the jacket generally gets a rounded look.

If it's just a half inch, you can have the sleeves shortened from the end of the sleeve as usual, and have the tailor slant it slightly, so that the inside of the sleeve is shorter than the outside where the buttons are.

This is exactly why I don't do surgeon sleeves on my RTW collections. It makes it pretty much impossible for anyone that doesn't have the exact right length arms to purchase a jacket. It's better to prep the sleeves and and the functioning buttonholes after purchase.

JensenH

Reaction score
The price is inversely proportionate to the risk.

A good tailor may charge $80 and there is a 95% chance it'll work.

A poor tailor could charge $25 and there is a 60% chance it'll work.

Most tailors charge between $75 - $100. I know of no one that charges $25.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EzraPaul
It's a huge risk for a couple reasons:

1) If the sleeve tapers quickly, the tailor will be forced to turn the sleeve in a little in order to match the width of the armhole with the sleeve head.

2) The should tends to loose it's original shape. In my experience the jacket generally gets a rounded look.

If it's just a half inch, you can have the sleeves shortened from the end of the sleeve as usual, and have the tailor slant it slightly, so that the inside of the sleeve is shorter than the outside where the buttons are.

This is exactly why I don't do surgeon sleeves on my RTW collections. It makes it pretty much impossible for anyone that doesn't have the exact right length arms to purchase a jacket. It's better to prep the sleeves and and the functioning buttonholes after purchase.

wow thats bad news for me....as the suit would be a great deal but IDK if id wanna risk damaging the suit to fit me correctly. I could wear it as is but none of my shirt cuff would show :/

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
Most tailors charge between $75 - $100. I know of no one that charges $25.

$25 will net you the bloke who will shorten it with the working buttonhole either inside the sleeve or 0.25" from the edge of the cuff.

If there's no space to place the button, he or she will then just leave it as "unbuttoned" or try to close it up and leave a scar there anyway.

mic

Reaction score
I had a tailor take in the shoulders of a nice jacket (basically took it from a 38 to a 36), and it came out really well, at least to my eye. Is the sleeve-shortening operation any more or less difficult?

I have to lose 1.5" from a very high end mohair/wool blazer with an absolutely perfect fit otherwise, and I'm afraid of having it botched. I wonder if I should trust it to the same shop or find a higher-end tailor.

heaven7

Reaction score
I just did this with a Caruso I bought in B&S.
Among with other alterations it ended up running me about 150 bucks.
While I'm pretty happy with the results, I have to admit that the shoulder shape certainly did change.

Given all factors, I probably wouldn't do it again. Too expensive, time consuming and risky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads