• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently bought a suit from the Buy-Sell Forum and failed to adequately take sleeve length into account. I'd say its about 3" too short so its showing alot of cuff (most of the barrel if my memory serves me well). However I tried it on last night with a pair of jeans and a white shirt underneath and i thought it looked pretty good. Also, I know there has been a thing about people going with shorter and shorter suit sleeves; so i was wondering people's thoughts on this matter. I may be able to take camera phone pics later tonight but thats going to about 8-9 hours as Im at work.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the naked wrist under a jacket, though in the summer I'll wear a few sportcoats with a polo. If I were you, I'd take the jacket to a cheap but serviceable (or a good) tailor and have them take down the sleeve as much as possible. It's an easy and common alteration and shouldn't cost you too much (top end, around $40). I can't imagine they'll be able to add 3", but an inch and a half could help.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With your arm hanging relaxed and natural at your side, bend your thumb up like you are hitch hiking. Most sleeves are the proper length if they stop right at this point. Go up from there if you want the sleeves shorter. Shirt sleeves fall below this point.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm not usually a fan of showing 3" cuff either but I also have a bumfreezer one button vintage jacket (early 60s made for Saks 5th) that I LOOOOVE which has sleeves that show about 3" (odd the sleeves are so short since it was deadstock) and when worn with a white shirt, nice cufflinks, and jeans it actually looks really good, like it was meant to be that way. So depending on your style, it *could* be pulled off with good effect. But if you can lengthen the sleeve that would be ideal.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'm not usually a fan of showing 3" cuff either but I also have a bumfreezer one button vintage jacket (early 60s made for Saks 5th) that I LOOOOVE which has sleeves that show about 3" (odd the sleeves are so short since it was deadstock) and when worn with a white shirt, nice cufflinks, and jeans it actually looks really good, like it was meant to be that way. So depending on your style, it *could* be pulled off with good effect. But if you can lengthen the sleeve that would be ideal.

So what exactly takes place when lengthening a sleeve? It sounds pretty drastic.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
well there has to be enough fabric in the sleeve to let out....realistically, if your sleeves are 2-3" too short you probably arent going to have that much extra fabric, but it's worth a shot to have your tailor look at it.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
3" is a lot. I think it'd be optimistic to think you can get that much material out of the sleeves. If your idea of an 'ideal' sleeve is the 'usual' down to the thumb joint standard then perhaps there is hope, but you would have to get used to the 'sartorial' standard sleeve that shows a bit of cuff.

In general, sleeve lengthening is fairly straightforward and cheap unless working button holes are involved.

You may be better off trying to return it or sell it on.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
3" is a lot. I think it'd be optimistic to think you can get that much material out of the sleeves. If your idea of an 'ideal' sleeve is the 'usual' down to the thumb joint standard then perhaps there is hope, but you would have to get used to the 'sartorial' standard sleeve that shows a bit of cuff.

In general, sleeve lengthening is fairly straightforward and cheap unless working button holes are involved.

You may be better off trying to return it or sell it on.

Well like I said in my OP, I actually like the suit (not to wear to work though), and was just wondering the general consensus on extra short sleeves. I will have it looked at by my tailor though.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to resurrect this thread. I recently bought a T&A dinner suit from a fellow SF'er and the sleeves are a touch short. I've had several jacket sleeves lengthened and most have turned out fine; one however continues to have a 'crease' where the old fold used to be no matter how much steaming etc I inflict on it. I'm hoping to wear this DJ to a wedding at Easter time and want it done right, should I try having it lengthened at the sleeve again or ask to have it done from the shoulder? I'm a little wary of the latter, in case they ruin the shoulder - is it a fairly big undertaking?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Just to resurrect this thread. I recently bought a T&A dinner suit from a fellow SF'er and the sleeves are a touch short. I've had several jacket sleeves lengthened and most have turned out fine; one however continues to have a 'crease' where the old fold used to be no matter how much steaming etc I inflict on it. I'm hoping to wear this DJ to a wedding at Easter time and want it done right, should I try having it lengthened at the sleeve again or ask to have it done from the shoulder? I'm a little wary of the latter, in case they ruin the shoulder - is it a fairly big undertaking?

sorry cant lengthen from the top. there is no cloth inside..
steam will not do it. you must wet the old crease. and press with a press cloth.
if there is a fusing inside the sleeve bottom,it must be removed.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Hey guys. I recently bought a suit from the Buy-Sell Forum and failed to adequately take sleeve length into account. I'd say its about 3" too short so its showing alot of cuff (most of the barrel if my memory serves me well). However I tried it on last night with a pair of jeans and a white shirt underneath and i thought it looked pretty good. Also, I know there has been a thing about people going with shorter and shorter suit sleeves; so i was wondering people's thoughts on this matter. I may be able to take camera phone pics later tonight but thats going to about 8-9 hours as Im at work.

you wont get 3" but the tailor can get the most length by adding cloth inside.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads