• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit sizing question

Sonorously

Reaction score
I have a 38 in. chest at the widest point inhaling. Would a suit with 39 in. p2p be too tight?
I'm a fairly slim and young guy.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the suit chest measurement should be about 4 inches more than your actual chest measurement.

Sonorously

Reaction score
Bump. Any slim guys that can give their opinion on this?

sns23

Reaction score
It could vary among brands and cuts.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
It really depends...my upper TORSO measurement is about 42" and I fit into 40R suits (21" p2p) perfectly....what you have to take into account is that when you measure your upper body your measuring your chest and back muscles....so while I measure 42" most of it is in my upper back/lats and my chest isnt that full...so 40R fits me fine....so basically youre going to have to go and try stuff on.

Essential

Reaction score
Actual chest measurement minus 2 (could be 3 or 4) = Suit Size

40 actual chest measurement is normally a 38.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
usually p2p is defined as shoulder point to shoulder point.
or do you mean the half chest? done with the coat buttoned up laying flat, measured armhole to armhole.

Sonorously

Reaction score
usually p2p is defined as shoulder point to shoulder point.
or do you mean the half chest? done with the coat buttoned up laying flat, measured armhole to armhole.
Sorry, I meant the latter, half chest measurement from "pit to pit" doubled.

intfxdx

Reaction score
It also depends on the shoulder measurements.. But basically an 38R suit is made with 38" chest + ease where ease depends on breand and cut. If you have a 38" chest and if you are a slim guy 39" chest will be fine.. you can try 38 RLBL suits, they will fit you

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go and try some suits on in a shop, though that will take your time. You will learn more than simply reading a web board and bumping threads...

Whilst your age may well affect your choice of style, it will not affect your measurements.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads