• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit sizing question.

project86

Reaction score
Hi. I'm purchasing my first suit (at 25--how embarrassing) and have some questions about sizing. I went to a tailor yesterday and had him get my measurements, I didn't think to ask him what size coat and trousers I would need, base on those measurements. Here's what he wrote down.

Coat
Length - 28
Shoulder - 19
Sleeves - 25 1/2
Chest - 41
Waist - 37 1/2
Hips - 42
Neck - 16

Trousers
Waist - 33
Length - 40
Inseam - 29 1/2

I have an athletic build and I am between 5'10" - 5'11". I'm looking at getting the JCrew Italian Wool Ludlow, Double-Vented Charcoal suit and pairing it with dark brown Pearl & Co's by Brooks Brothers Perforated Cap Toe. Any help is appreciated.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
I'd try a 40R(egular). You may want to try on a 38R as well depending on how the 40R fits.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 41 if you can find it. Or a 42. Odds are the pants will have to be taken in.

But try it on .

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
28 inches sounds very short for someone of 5'11", you'll want closer to the upper end of Regular length, whereas 28" is pretty much a Short.

40R would probably be your best bet, 38R will likely be too small unless it's cut relatively loose.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40R suits usually come with 34 pants. I have a 40" chest but usually fit a 38 suit in many models. They are cut larger than the size indicates. Also, most size 40 suits have 19 inch shoulders, so they should be a good match for you. I have the sides of the jacket taken in (waist supression) on 39 and 40s suits, but usually don't need to on 38. I'd suspect you may need to to have the same in a 40 as well has having the pants taken in a bit.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pro tip: The Ludlow could not have narrower lapels without being classified as a Nehru jacket for tax purposes.

Seriously, could J Crew have just one suit photo that doesn't feature hideous pulling?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
38 will definitely be too small for you. Typical shoulders there are 17.5-18 inches. You probably need a 40 or a 42.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
28 inches sounds very short for someone of 5'11", you'll want closer to the upper end of Regular length, whereas 28" is pretty much a Short.

40R would probably be your best bet, 38R will likely be too small unless it's cut relatively loose.

Originally Posted by acecow
38 will definitely be too small for you. Typical shoulders there are 17.5-18 inches. You probably need a 40 or a 42.

The cut will play a BIG role. I wouldn't say that 38R will definitely be too small. I measure 41in around the chest, but I wear a 38R from some brands/cuts.

It also depends on how you expect the jacket to fit. If you like a more close fit, then 42R may be too full; it certainly is for me.

project86

Reaction score
I went to a department store and tried on a few suits of each 38, 40, and 42. My conclusion; 42 is way too big, the shoulders extend beyond my shoulder. I think a 38r felt good, but was slightly hard to get on, but not bad at all. 40r felt good, but made me look a little portly.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the ludlow suit and how it might fit me?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by project86
Does anyone have first-hand experience with the ludlow suit and how it might fit me?

The general consensus is that J Crew makes far better casual clothes than tailored clothes.

project86

Reaction score
Yeah, I got that notion reading through the threads on here.

I would like to find a similar suit in style (charcoal, slim lapels, 2 button, double vented) and around the same cost.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be embarrased, the important thing is that you are getting the suit which is always a great thing. This is just an estimante but based on what you have said I would say your about a 40R maybe 41 which would give you a 34-35 waist. You can alway try on a few coats to get an exact fit.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to find a Corneliani on sale in a 40R. Your measurements fall in line pretty much perfectly with their structure, aka big shoulders, trim but not slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads