Suit similar to this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JBLL, Feb 22, 2013.

1. JBLL

JBLL Member

Hi I'm looking to buy my first proper suit and I came across this Oxxford one:

[​IMG]

but the thing is it's not available in the EU, so I'd have to get it shipped and it would cost me around £300 in duty and tax. So I was wondering if anyone knew of similar style suit available in the EU. The main criteria is that it has to be navy and a 3 piece suit. I've looked around quite a bit, but can't find anything!

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I would not suggest the above as a first suit. A herringbone, pinstripe or faded chalk stripe in navy would be a much better idea. Have you got a adequate budget? Are local option available?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

3. JBLL

JBLL Member

My budget is up to £800, and local isn't really a option as most of the ones I've been to are out of my budget/ or just a plain two piece suit

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

It's a cool suit, but not the best idea for your first suit. Also, before making that plunge, you need to learn more about what you like and don't like, and most importantly, the proper fit... particularly the shoulders and length.

I'll tell you what I do and don't like about it, and then you can check to see if you even considered it. If not, I suggest you learn what you like before making such a purchase:

I like:

Pattern, seems interesting (but not the most versatile)
    Oxxford, very nice brand
    Shoulders - based on what I can see, they look well executed and my style (roped), however, it's hard to tell without trying it on
    Ticket Pocket - Not a bad touch

I don't like:

Lapel width - it's too narrow for my liking, and I'd prefer peak lapel on three piece
    Button stance could be a bit lower. With that, the waist seems to be a bit high as well.
    Vest seems to sit quite high as well... I'm wondering if the seller used a vest from a different size/length than the suit jacket for the photo (could have multiple sizes to sell)

Have you at least thought about most of these things? If not, I suggest you figure out what stylistic features you want as well as the proper fit before considering this.

Just my 2 cents.

5. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

For your first suit, get a solid navy or solid mid-to-dark grey suit. You're less likely to look like you're wearing the same suit all the time since solids stand out less, and there are also occasions where a solid suit is most appropriate. Take it from someone who's made the mistake of buying more than one thing that looked really cool at the time but hardly ever gets worn. I'll admit, there is something slightly ungratifying in the short term about buying a solid navy or grey suit to start off, but it's worth it.

7. JBLL

JBLL Member

Ok, I've thought about the things mentioned in this thread and I've found 3 suits I really like. I was wondering if you guys could give your opinions on them and help me pick the one I should buy.

First:

Duchamp MILLED PICK AND PICK 3 PIECE SUIT

Pic: [​IMG]
    I don't think the picture does it much justice, but they also have a video of it.

Vid:

This suit will cost me £318

Link: http://www.duchamplondonoutlet.com/suits/milled-pick-and-pick-3-piece-suit-corsican

Second:

Paul Smith London Slim Fit Three Piece Suit

pic: [​IMG]

This suit will cost me £550
    Link: http://www.circlemenswear.com/paul-smith-london-new-arrival-s-s-2013

At the moment I'm leaning towards the second one, but then again it'll cost me like £200 more and I'm not so sure

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

8. JBLL

JBLL Member

I'd have to pay $50 for shipping which is ok I guess, but then I'd have to pay VAT at 20% and Tax at 12%

9. JBLL

JBLL Member

nvm

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

10. JBLL

JBLL Member

Is £550 too much for the Paul smith suit and also how is the quality of the Duchamp suit, I've searched on here but couldn't find any proper results :l