Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit shoulders

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Jul 28, 2003.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Are there any suitmakers whose jackets tend to have narrower shoulders than the norm. I am a size 40 but like the way a 38 fits me in the shoulder.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to make a suit without shoulder pads? I hate them in principal and am curious to know if they can be avoided.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

If a size 38 fits the shoulders but is to tight around the waist and a size 40 is correct around the waist and is too wide in the shoulders, than you have chosen a suit with the wrong "drop".

The drop is the number of inches the waist is narrower than the chest. In an athletic fit the drop might be 7", in a slim fit it's usually 6". That means a 40" chest comes with a waist of 33" or 34" respectively. For bigger waists you need a lesser drop as not everybody with a bigger waist, is taller and sports broader shoulders. You can buy suits with a drop 4" or 5", if that is what you need. In the old days they would have produced suits in "portly" and "stout" with a drop of 2" and nil. I hope you are not that big.

Some retailers offer you to chose jacket and trousers in whatever size required. But that is only a compromise. Someone with a huge belly needs a differently cut jacket (with more material in the front as to be able to close the buttons). I'm not US based, so I don't know which American suits are quite generous in their cut. These makers are more likely to be conservative and not the most fashion-conscious of manufacturers.

A good alteration tailor should be able to take the shoulders in (re-cut them), although that's a pretty big job and it won't be cheap.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If you want suits with narrow shoulders most of the hip designers such as Dior Homme or Helmut Lang offers these slim type of suits.

However if a more tradtional style is preferred H.Huntsman makes a suit with narrow shoulders in the Anglo style. Most of the Saville Row types make a somewhat narrow shouldered suit.