1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit shoulder slope

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Mar 9, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'm continually wondering what exactly determines how a suit's shoulder slope? It seems to me that a square shoulder can't be made square simply through the padding. And it can't be made square simply through the stitching. (Conversely, a sloped shoulder can't be made slope simply by either padding or stitching). It seems to me that it has something to do with the cutting, specifically by where the collar sits on the neck of the collar (i.e. a square shoulder's collar will actually sit a bit lower on the sides of the neck, which will make the start of the shoulder start at a point on closer to the same "latitude" as the sleeve head). Perhaps Manton can confirm or deny my suspicions.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You left out the most important element: your actual shoulder. It has a huge effect on how a coat's shoulder looks -- more so the less padding there is in the shoulder.

You are correct that stitiching and padding also play large roles. As does the height of the collar, and the position of the shoulder seam, which is determined by the length of the backneck measurement.