• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Shopping

PinkerTish

Reaction score
I've recently been told by my boyfriend that he would like another suit for Christmas, he has two already, a plain black and a dark charcoal pin, which he has had tailored and fit him very nicely.

He suggested Jos. A Bank for the new suit, but their commercials irritate me and I'm not patient with salespeople, so based on previous posts about that store I'm not sure I want to venture there.

We live in a fairly small town and I don't have many options to go shopping, nor do I even know where to begin for suit shopping.

If anyone has any advice on what to look for in a nice suit or things I should ask the store employees that would be fantastic. The suits at Dillards seem ok, but again, I have no clue what I'm looking for.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Where do you live and is online an option?

joegrec

Reaction score
Also give us your budget so we know where to recommend a $300 suit or a $5000 suit.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkerTish
I've recently been told by my boyfriend that he would like another suit for Christmas, he has two already, a plain black and a dark charcoal pin, which he has had tailored and fit him very nicely.

He suggested Jos. A Bank for the new suit, but their commercials irritate me and I'm not patient with salespeople, so based on previous posts about that store I'm not sure I want to venture there.

We live in a fairly small town and I don't have many options to go shopping, nor do I even know where to begin for suit shopping.

If anyone has any advice on what to look for in a nice suit or things I should ask the store employees that would be fantastic. The suits at Dillards seem ok, but again, I have no clue what I'm looking for.

I would suggest a Navy suit--besides charcoal, navy is the best staple wardrobe color for men. If his measurements are 40R suit, 30 pants, you'll probably want to get a more form-fitting suit with a higher than typical "drop" (the difference between the chest and waist measurement).

Its also important to know how much do you want to spend? For a guy, a suit should be seen as an investment, especially if he's starting out. To be honest, if you don't think the "boyfriend" is someone you are invested in for the long haul, I would not recommend spending a lot of money getting him a nice suit, nor would I recommend getting a cheap suit (like many, if not all, at Dillard's).

Instead, if he doesn't already have one, get him a navy blazer. Cheaper than a suit, and if he's starting out, he definitely needs one.

PinkerTish

Reaction score
Sorry, I live in north Colorado where I can get to larger stores in about an hour or two. Online is an option, but I would feel much better if I could actually leave with something, I know he has to get it tailored either way. And I don't really want to spend more than about $500, that's what he spent on his first two. I know I'm not going to get top of the line for that price, but I don't want something that feels cheap either.

Wayward

Reaction score
I honestly don't think you buying a suit for him is necessarily a good idea, especially if he wears one on a regular basis. A suit can be a personalized thing, and if the wearer isn't comfortable with the suit itself it doesn't matter what the price tag is. I just recently switched out of a couple of suits that are too big for me and I haven't looked back.

If your boyfriend isn't sure what he's looking for, chances are slim that you will find one that will satisfy him. If he knows what he wants though, then I would say you're better off just offering to comp for all/part of it after he's bought it. Either way, I recommend AGAINST purchasing anything yourself without his input.

My $0.02.

mlongano

Reaction score
Try a navy blazer from Anderson Little (online). Everyone needs at least one navy blazer, they are easier to "get right' than suits, are returnable if he does not like it, and cost less than $200.00.

http://www.andersonlittle.com/

suzuka

Reaction score
if you know his measurements, you could use indochino. I think the website is indochin.com

negusnegas

Reaction score
Polo Garrison model or RL Black Label on Ebay are in your price range. If he is a younger person they offer a nice contemporary but not too extreme cut, but also pretty good bang for your buck.

saiyar1

Reaction score
I think we may be going way over her head by talking about Valentino, Polo Garrison, RL Black Label, etc.

PinkerTish:
Can you gives us details on your boyfriend?
What's his height and weight?
Build (skinny, average, muscular, large)?
Can you descibe how he likes his suits (slim fitting/H&M style, loose/boxy, etc)?
How much do you want to spend? Max/Min?
Will this be a suit to wear for nightlife? To work? Dual purpose?

Can you post pictures of him in the tailored suit you like him in? What size is that suit? What brand? We can get a great idea of the best suit for him based on that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads