• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit shopping...

y150

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a rising sophomore in college and have decide that it is time to get a proper suit for interviews and social functions.

I've read through a lot of the forum archive so I've become more familiar with the terminology and designers. The only problem is that this is my first suit so I'm still fairly uninformed.

My question is: What designer/brands should I be looking for if I'm looking for a more modern, slender and classy suit. I'm just under 6'4" and weigh 165ish. I'm a 39L/40L (according to different salespeople.) Of the suits that I recently tried on, I particulary liked a Prada (40L) and an Isaia (39L). I'm not sure about the Prada, but I know that the Isaia was a Neopolitan cut and I really like it, especially the softer shoulders and supressed waist.

Also, I'm not willing to spend 2000 for a suit yet, so the Isaia is definitely out of the picture. The Prada, which I liked, was marked down significantly to 750, a price that is enticing -- I'm actually thinking about getting it. What other brands should I be looking at if I want a good but not super expensive suit (I'm in college and on a budget). Of course, if I could snatch a very expensive one for a great deal ~750 or less, I'd be more than happy to. Any advise? Also, I'm in the SF Bay Area right now and plan on going into the city to look around more, if that helps.

Thanks,
Roman

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple threads down on the main page you'll find one talking about Isaia suits available at Sierra Trading Post for less than the Prada suit you mentioned. If you don't see that thread, here a direct link: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....t=11895

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prada suiting from the 2004 line and more recently is fully canvassed.

Very generally: the standard Prada fabric is going to be more delicate than Isaia's.

Dan (dah328) just handed you a pot of gold check out Sierra Trading Post for a good deal on Isaia. There is no going wrong with those suits. I have one and a sportcoat as well and both have served me well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads