• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit shopping in Ottawa, Ontario

plumpto

Reaction score
I have a gala coming up, and I want to buy a 3 piece suit, just to be different. Anyone have any suggestions for to buy a suit in Ottawa?

Thanks,
Chris

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plumpto
I have a gala coming up, and I want to buy a 3 piece suit, just to be different. Anyone have any suggestions for to buy a suit in Ottawa?

Yes, go to Montreal. Other than one nice shirt-maker, Ottawa is a sartorial wasteland.

But seriously, what is the dress for the gala? Black tie? If so, you should wear black tie.

You could always try Harry Rosen.

plumpto

Reaction score
I know Ottawa is terrible for fashion. I dont have time to hit Montreal before the gala. I was just told it was formal wear, not necessarily black tie, but I was likely going black tie anyways. Thanks for the Harry Rosen suggestion, I was going to check them out early this week, any other suggestions? (I think Rosen's might be out of my budget of $700, though)

plumpto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Yes, go to Montreal. Other than one nice shirt-maker, Ottawa is a sartorial wasteland.

But seriously, what is the dress for the gala? Black tie? If so, you should wear black tie.

You could always try Harry Rosen.

who is the shirt maker by the way?

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by plumpto
who is the shirt maker by the way?

Levonian. I think I gave a short review of her work previously. Her workmanship is very good and her shirts are value priced for something made in Canada.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
+1 on Ottawa being a sartorial wasteland. BB can't come up here soon enough!! I pay attention to what gents are wearing when I'm plodding about downtown, and aside from some AEs and maybe a few Church's from Dacks, not a decent pair of shoes to be found! Does anyone else in Ottawa wear C&J?

Concerning Levonian, I would add that she seems to prefer to stay within established designs. I was in the market for some tunic shirts, and she refused to do the work for me based on the fact that a previous customer found them uncomfortable. Never mind the fact that I was wearing a tunic shirt with stiff collar at the time, and was prepared to lay down the cash...

Still, her range of patterns is impressive, and she obviously does very good work.

To those with a historical bent, I would recommend looking up Stanley of History in the Making. Officially he does re-enactment wardrobes, but he will make you morning suits, classic sack suits, spats, and other goodies on request. He works out of his house near Tunney's Pasture - well worth a visit, as he's a fount of information on the history of men's dress.

Geoff

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
Does anyone else in Ottawa wear C&J?

Still, her range of patterns is impressive, and she obviously does very good work.

As far as I know, C&J is not sold anywhere in Canada. L'Uomo in Montreal carries Lobb and Edward Green though. I buy my shoes on vacation now. C&J in London, Vass in Budapest. I am working up the courage to order a bespoke pair in NY.

Levonian: She made me an emergency pleated-front dinner shirt in 7 days. Based on that alone, I have a lot of time for her.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High quality shoes are virtually unavailable in most cities in Canada.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40