• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit shopping in Milan

makker

Reaction score
Ok, need to purchase a nice new suit, preferably navy blue. Since I'm a student, can't cost too much $$$, perhaps 600-800 range? Any good suggestions where to go?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
€600 Or $600?

Navy blue? If you're more flexible try the shops after the 6th. The sales start then.

Google Bolgheri Via Novara 71,
(Oleggio),

That should be the Zegna outlet in the Milano outlet. If it hasn't moved/closed . But not a great chance of navy unless you go with Gritti and you SHOULDN'T . But depending on the stock there should be plenty of choice in your price range. Or less. All lines.

ville_e

Reaction score
For around 1000 euros you can get an amazing suit at M. Bardelli. However, I believe it's above your price range.
frown.gif

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jump on the train and head to FoxTown in Switzerland. Depending where in the city you are, you should be no more than an hour each way.

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
Jump on the train and head to FoxTown in Switzerland. Depending where in the city you are, you should be no more than an hour each way.
From which store there do you think I could find a navy blue suit from? Price range overall is flexible, lets say 600-900€. The thing is that I am rather tall (6 feet) but slim so I usually wear a 48, but sometimes off-the-rack models can get a bit short. Haven't bought a proper suit in ages, so looking for models here that suit my torso. Should I try for a MTM? Also, I've heard there is a store called Ader, any good? Also Piombo on Via Montenapoleone, any good? M. Bardelli is the last option if I cant find anything.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost anything around Via Montenapoleone or the entire golden quadrilateral for that matter, is going to be priced fairly high as many tourists flock there, though still in the low-season you shouldn't be completely gouged. Think 5th Ave or Rodeo Drive in the States.

It is tough without knowing how you're cut. I would recommend Boggi, which is comparable to Brooks Brothers and should be on the very low end of your budget. Other stores to try: Al Bazar, Doriani, Boggi flagship.

I don't know how well you speak Italian, if at all, but the smaller the shop, the less English will be spoken.

ville_e

Reaction score
In Milan I usually visit these stores:

Doriani
Boggi
M. Bardelli
Al Bazar

M. Bardelli is my favourite of these and is a good representation of Milanese menswear.

makker

Reaction score
What's the average price of a suit at Bardelli? Any possible sales going on atm? How are the suits cut? Since I am 6 feet tall and slim fit, I usually wear jacket size of 48. Sometimes the problem is that they are too short for me, since I am rather tall and narrow. Anyone know anything on Belvest?
tumblr_lavyblPbk21qazg1ao1_400.jpg
Just as an example, looking for a navy suit like this one PG has (credit to him). So basically looking for a light blue dress shirt (should I check Borrelli?) and then the suit.

Wicky

Reaction score
Sales start next week (or may have started already in Milan). You could also check Tincati in Milan. € 900 should get you a very nice suit during sales, you might be able to score a Borrelli for that amount in the (small) Borrelli store (right next to the Duomo).

makker

Reaction score
Btw, if I am not in luck, is there any place where I could possibly rent a quality suit for a few days? The biggest concern is currently my tall and slim size which may be a problem for many RTWs, and may have to go for MTM if I stay within the same measurements. However, I am a complete novice with the MTM stuff right now and wouldn't have the time and knowledge to find the right place since I need a quality suit by the beginning of the last week of this month.

What I don't want to have is an expensive suit that will not fit me nicely anymore in a few years if I grow from the shoulders or get a more athletic build, but I dont want to invest in a mediocre cheapish suit either. I believe in you pay for what you get to some extent.

makker

Reaction score
Haha you are right, especially when comparing to the Dutch :p

Any ideas where to find Boglioli, Caruso, Attolini and Belvest stuff in Italy? Especially interested in the latter two.

VladimirS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
Any ideas where to find Boglioli, Caruso, Attolini and Belvest stuff in Italy? Especially interested in the latter two.

I saw Belvest in la Rinascente on piazza Duomo(Milano)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coin should have some of it too; you'll just likely be paying more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads