• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Shopping and so much junk

simpleman

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post here or the main forum. Anyways, the last suit I bought was an emergency (funeral) which I bought in Nov 2014. It is cheap (JFerrar, dark grey) and heavy. That said it has served me well enough, and I've worn it unfortunately to another funeral, a couple of weddings, and a bunch of holidays.

I'd say I wear a suit about 4-6 times a year. I wear a sportcoat about 1-2x a week, and have 2 "go to" sport coats that fit me great. I've also started a "style journey" since Nov. 2014, and have what I would call a slightly more discerning eye.

But, my cheap suit did okay, so I go suit shopping again for a wedding at the end of the month, and thought I'd be smart and give myself 2 weeks to buy. I also figured since I am of average height and I thought an average build, that an OTR inexpensive suit would work well...

I was mistaken.

Every cheap suit I tried on was a disaster. I tried many a separate and the fit was never good. Every suit I tried, once we got the shoulders fitting well needed sleeves, waist, neck fixed on the jacket (The Shorts were always too short, the Regulars all a touch too long). The pants best case just needed to be hemmed, but tended to also need to be taken in at the waist and then tapered, or let out at the seat/hips if I bought separates fit my waist. A $200 suit that needs $150 in alterations...that will still feel like a $200 suit...

So I've decided that I'll have to wear my current cheap suit one more time, and then buy something new when I have more time.

on to my question:
Coats I tend to be somewhere between a 38R and a 40R, the 40R fits my shoulders and chest a little better, but always needs to be taken in. Pants I wear a 32. Slim fit barely works for me (quads, hips too big), but traditional fit is like wearing a parachute (not that big). What is my min. barrier to a decent suit that I can wear 20x and feel good. $400-500 from suit supply? Or do I go with a brand like Ted Baker or Hugo Boss for ~$650-800? There seems to be a no man's land in between the $100-200 suits and the $400+ suits, is that right?

Thanks for reading, just a simpleman from Texas.

Alpha11

Reaction score
You have to find a brand that caters to your fit profile and since you seem to have quite a few fit issues that can be addressed by a competent tailor.

I have never purchase a suit in the price range that you're discussing here so I cannot comment on that too much. I will say that what you describe in your post as far as issues fit is pretty common even in high suits. The most being the following

Sleeves shortening or lengthening.
Lower back and top or neck points.
Taking in or letting out of sides.
Pants needing hemmed
Waist ,seat, and thigh let out or taken in.

Try not to look at a OTR suit as a finished product before it goes to the tailor. You are going in the right direction as your shoulders are one of the most important fit criteria. If you are getting puckering at the lapels because your chest then have the shape the lapel.

Last edited:

simpleman

Reaction score
You have to find a brand that caters to your fit profile and since you seem to have quite a few fit issues that can be addressed by a competent tailor.

I have never purchase a suit in the price range that you're discussing here so I cannot comment on that too much. I will say that what you describe in your post as far as issues of fit is pretty common even I high suits. The most being the following

Sleeves shortening or lengthening.
Lower back and top or neck points.
Taking in or letting out of sides.
Pants needing hemmed
Waist ,seat seat let out or taken in.

Try not to look at a OTR suit as a finished product before it goes to the tailor. You are going in the right direction as your shoulders are one of the most important fit criteria. If you are going puckering at the lapels because your chest then have the shape the lapel.
Thanks for the feedback. I was probably a little too hopeful that I would not need alterations. $500 seems to be the barrier to a wool suit that drapes well, everything less was synthetic and I just felt wrong spending as much as I need on tailoring on something I know is really "lipstick on a pig" at the end of the day.

mlstein

Reaction score
Suit Supply is good. So is Spier and Mackay--a real bargain with excellent fabric and cuts, worth more than the very reasonable price. Both are half canvassed. I would choose either over a "designer" name like Hugo Boss. Spier and Mackay's fall season suits will drop this week or soon after and are such bargain that they're likely to go fast.

simpleman

Reaction score
Howdy y'all. So I stopped at SuitSupply on the way home, tried on a Napoli in 38R...it literally fit me EVERYWHERE except the inseam!!! Bought one in plain blue, hemmed in 10 minutes. Showed my wife, and she was blown away and said how much nicer it looked than all the other cheap suits I tried on.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.