suit shop.com - Australia (Patrick Johnson) any feedback?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by maxandcoco, Dec 28, 2009.

1. VCG

VCG New Member

I've been lurking on style forum for a while, and I thought I'd join to add my 0.2c since Monogram is the only other person here who has been involved with them.

I comissioned a double breasted navy suit from Suit-Shop in December (I think?) last year. Patrick was really helpful at the first appointment; I think I was there for two or three hours while he explained every detail of the process with me and we talked about styling. I was really happy with the suit when I finally recieved it 5 weeks later.

Since then I've comissioned some blazers and trousers. Again, Patrick has always sat down with me to discuss all the options available to me and in some instances even called me when he's come up with an idea for something new. In my experience, I've had control over pretty much every detail I could think of. Everything I've ordered has had full canvassing, hand stitched padded lapels, horn buttons etc.

In all honestly, my only past experience has been with Z Zegna RTW and Peruicci MTM. I feel that the quality and construction my Suit-Shop far exceeds that of both Z Zegna and Peruicci, but I can't really comment on construction in general because I don't have the experience to do so.

I'm wearing my tweed blazer now, if anyone is interested I can take a photo of it.

2. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I'm wearing my tweed blazer now, if anyone is interested I can take a photo of it.

I would love you to. As would many other readers im sure!

3. truevision

truevision Senior member

I would love you to. As would many other readers im sure!

+ 1

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

It's interesting to note that Johnson's background is in winemaking, not tailoring or cutting.

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Umm he completed a wine making course, then went to France and discovered he was allergic to the wine making process. Hardly what I would call a "background". He then went to art school and apprenticed for a bespoke shirt maker.

Almost all MTM fitters, which is what he is, are not Tailors or Cutters. Otherwise they would be working as, well Tailors or Cutters. I know, I used to be a MTM fitter for Fletcher Jones at the ripe old age of 21 before back when things were all still made in Warnambool and.

6. foulard

foulard Senior member

Umm he completed a wine making course, then went to France and discovered he was allergic to the wine making process. Hardly what I would call a "background". He then went to art school and apprenticed for a bespoke shirt maker.

Almost all MTM fitters, which is what he is, are not Tailors or Cutters. Otherwise they would be working as, well Tailors or Cutters. I know, I used to be a MTM fitter for Fletcher Jones at the ripe old age of 21 before back when things were all still made in Warnambool and.

I dont want to seem argumentative or unduly combative but isnt one of the main issues in this thread and any thread which is seeking views on whether to use one tailor or another to look at value for money?

It is generally accepted that RTW is not as good as MTM, which again is not as good as bespoke, yes? OK then, each of those three categories should have price ranges from low to high, yes?

When a manufacturer offers a certain product in the RTW category but its price creeps into the MTM price range, its generally considered to be a liitle bit of a rip off, yes?

THe only point I understood the Wraith to be making is that if any one particular manufacturer of MTM strays into the price range (or at least very close to it) of bespoke, then its generally a rip off unless there is something particular special about it.

Is that really so difficult to understand.

(and guess what, nobody had to mention any particular tailors name, in order to make that point).

7. monogram

monogram Active Member

I have to say I think you are really annoying...
    I dont want to seem argumentative or unduly combative...
    Hmmm, ok... To clarify, I find The Wraith's thinly veiled, snide remarks annoying. I find his constant criticisms of things he knows little about annoying, especially when they aren't justified. I never said that I find him personally annoying (how could I jump to that conclusion when I've never met him?) I don't have any experience with Zink, hence I refrain from passing judgement on their work. This is the point I tried to convey in my previous post. $1800 for bespoke is certainly a very good deal and I look forward to seeing The Wraith's commission. However, to believe that this price is representative of bespoke prices, especially in Melbourne, is wrong. As I've mentioned previously, Adriano Carbone starts at $2000 for his MTM and up to $5000 for bespoke. Henry Bucks offers MTM through Canali, starting at $3000. Now that is overpriced MTM (Hell, many gents in Melbourne pay over $1000 for black, 3-Button, Hugo Boss suits... It may be more productive to save the snark for them).The difference between $1300 and $1800 is not insignificant. That's close to a pair of C&Js from Bodileys, or 3 - 4 ties from Drakes, or a couple of bespoke shirts... I chose Suit Shop because I like their ethos and I like their prices. I've done nothing more than give my opinion (and thoroughly positive recommendation) about a company that happens to produce clothing that appeals to my particular brand of aesthetic and budget.

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Umm he completed a wine making course, then went to France and discovered he was allergic to the wine making process. Hardly what I would call a "background". He then went to art school and apprenticed for a bespoke shirt maker. Almost all MTM fitters, which is what he is, are not Tailors or Cutters. Otherwise they would be working as, well Tailors or Cutters. I know, I used to be a MTM fitter for Fletcher Jones at the ripe old age of 21 before back when things were all still made in Warnambool and.
    I would like to say that - given how he was likely responsible for a few members here on SF being caught out of pocket with the StevenAver implosion with his incessant touting back then - TheWraith has little credibility IMO when it comes to vendor selection. [​IMG]

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

It is generally accepted that RTW is not as good as MTM, which again is not as good as bespoke, yes? OK then, each of those three categories should have price ranges from low to high, yes?
    Without further qualifiers on your part - no, and no.
    When a manufacturer offers a certain product in the RTW category but its price creeps into the MTM price range, its generally considered to be a liitle bit of a rip off, yes?
    This POV is often unique to those who cannot afford it. No one is forcing you to complete a transaction, and no one is asking to be saved.
    THe only point I understood the Wraith to be making is that if any one particular manufacturer of MTM strays into the price range (or at least very close to it) of bespoke, then its generally a rip off unless there is something particular special about it.
    Well, given he has no experience with this particular MTM operation, perhaps he should hold his tongue, and post up photos of his (to him) clearly superior bespoke experience, and then let members make the decision for themselves.

10. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

Some bizarre comments in this thread. The Wraith can't comment on quality but can comment on price? And the price (but not quality remember) comparison is against suitmakers that he's either never used (but has done some tire kicking) or hasn't seen the results of yet ...

Quality aside, you can get a damn cheap RTW suit from Man To Man (look it up) and so all other RTW is way too overpriced by comparison (quality aside). Yeah ...

11. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I dont want to seem argumentative or unduly combative but isnt one of the main issues in this thread and any thread which is seeking views on whether to use one tailor or another to look at value for money?

Is that really so difficult to understand.

(and guess what, nobody had to mention any particular tailors name, in order to make that point).

Thank you again, foulard. And yes, I find people like you, monogram equally annoying.

And yes, I can comment on price. You don't need to have used a particular tailor (or company) to know whether they're overcharging for something. Man, people in this forum complain about overcharging for just about everything else (particularly Australian members, who on this forum have complained about shoe stores overcharging for shoes [I remember someone here complaining about Josephs in Sydney overcharging for their range of English shoes] and a multitude of other items). Remember, I'm commenting on price, not quality. Judging by some people's comments here, the quality from Johnson seems high. That's fine. But I think his prices are overly high for what he is offering (offshore MTM) and I think there are better options out there supplying the exact same thing (and I've used a variety of online MTM outfits over the years and spoken with many other firms and with people who have used those firms. I know enough to make as valid a comment on this as anyone else in this thread). This is a forum of opinions, and that is mine. If you don't like it, tough.

I shall move on from this now...

13. foulard

foulard Senior member

Hmmm, ok...

To clarify, I find The Wraith's thinly veiled, snide remarks annoying. I find his constant criticisms of things he knows little about annoying, especially when they aren't justified. I never said that I find him personally annoying (how could I jump to that conclusion when I've never met him?)

I don't have any experience with Zink, hence I refrain from passing judgement on their work. This is the point I tried to convey in my previous post.

$1800 for bespoke is certainly a very good deal and I look forward to seeing The Wraith's commission. However, to believe that this price is representative of bespoke prices, especially in Melbourne, is wrong. As I've mentioned previously, Adriano Carbone starts at $2000 for his MTM and up to $5000 for bespoke. Henry Bucks offers MTM through Canali, starting at $3000. Now that is overpriced MTM (Hell, many gents in Melbourne pay over $1000 for black, 3-Button, Hugo Boss suits... It may be more productive to save the snark for them).The difference between $1300 and $1800 is not insignificant. That's close to a pair of C&Js from Bodileys, or 3 - 4 ties from Drakes, or a couple of bespoke shirts...

I chose Suit Shop because I like their ethos and I like their prices. I've done nothing more than give my opinion (and thoroughly positive recommendation) about a company that happens to produce clothing that appeals to my particular brand of aesthetic and budget.

Good post. I respect your opinion and understand where you're coming from. I didnt realise you were from Melbourne. But I found peoples criticism of The Wraith silly because he was accused of having some sort of ulterior motive and upon grounds which simply didnt stack up. I felt obliged to defend his view because I agreed with it.

Anyway, I hope that your garments turn out well for you.

Regards

14. foulard

foulard Senior member

Without further qualifiers on your part - no, and no.

This POV is often unique to those who cannot afford it. No one is forcing you to complete a transaction, and no one is asking to be saved.

Well, given he has no experience with this particular MTM operation, perhaps he should hold his tongue, and post up photos of his (to him) clearly superior bespoke experience, and then let members make the decision for themselves.

I underlined the word generally, or didn't you see that.

I still believe that the rest of my comments are correct especially on a general basis and not taking into account that you can get a really shit bespoke suit made up and at the same time you may have a body shape and size which happens to be precisely fitted to a good quality RTW brand. In which case the whole argument is successfully rebutted.

But the general starting position is as I have stated and you know that to be the case just as well as I do.

But anyway everybody should do as they please and I hope that the Suitshop people make a nice suit.

15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Foulard - then would you consider Herringbone RTW overpriced?

Why is it that theWraith cannot find it even plausible that a person might actually get a better suit from Patrick Johnson than if they went to Zink and Sons? Could it be possible that Suit Shop might be as good as Zink in terms of quality? Could it be perhaps that the styling or feedback from a younger more contemporary Patrick Johnson might provide something closer to what the customer wants?

There's a multitude of reasons as to why Suit Shop could be > Zink and sons, for a particular customer. You have provided no hard evidence as to why these scenarios are not plausible. Your mentioning of price without attaching it to any means of justification is arbitrary.

It's interesting to note that Johnson's background is in winemaking, not tailoring or cutting.

If this is not an ulterior motive... then I don't know what is. (which is as misleading as something today tonight would do)