• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit shop.com - Australia (Patrick Johnson) any feedback?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just thought i'd bump this a bit. I'm getting close to needing a new suit for winter and was considering another Herringbone in their mid grey mid weight flannel core line.

Been weighing up that, which would cost around $1050 once I factor in alterations, to a MTM from Suit Shop, so I shot them an email with a bunch of questions. I got a reply in about 30 mins from Tom, their Melbourne tailor.

For about $1300, I can get a MTM mid grey flannel with all the details I wanted, super 120's Loro Piana fabric, 2/3 canvassed, 3 shoulder options (all fairly soft) and made entirely in England in about 6 weeks. So I am seriously weighing up this option and may make an appointment with Patrick in sydney when I'm there in late April. For the $250 extra I think it may be worth it, to have exactly what I want.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Purely from a selfish perspective, I say go for it... then post fit pics so I can decide if I'll go this route in future
smile.gif

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raybert
I have had 2 MTMs at Godwin Charli in Melbourne (http://www.godwincharli.com/) that I have been really happy with.

Going Godwin Charlie's website provides almost no information at all about their clothing, prices, cloth, fit, style or anything except blurbs - hardly inspires the purchase or even inquiry choice.

What was your expereince and where would one get details?

truevision

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Purely from a selfish perspective, I say go for it... then post fit pics so I can decide if I'll go this route in future
smile.gif

+1!

monogram

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Hi All,

Just thought i'd bump this a bit. I'm getting close to needing a new suit for winter and was considering another Herringbone in their mid grey mid weight flannel core line.

Been weighing up that, which would cost around $1050 once I factor in alterations, to a MTM from Suit Shop, so I shot them an email with a bunch of questions. I got a reply in about 30 mins from Tom, their Melbourne tailor.

For about $1300, I can get a MTM mid grey flannel with all the details I wanted, super 120's Loro Piana fabric, 2/3 canvassed, 3 shoulder options (all fairly soft) and made entirely in England in about 6 weeks. So I am seriously weighing up this option and may make an appointment with Patrick in sydney when I'm there in late April. For the $250 extra I think it may be worth it, to have exactly what I want.

No
spam[1].gif
, but...

I highly recommend you give these guys a go. I took a chance with them after reading this thread and ordered a sports jacket in early February, which I received mid-March. I've also got a suit on order at the moment. My dealings have been with Tom, in Melbourne, who has always been insightful, knowledgeable and honest.

In terms of construction, I would say they are comparable, but perhaps a step beyond Herringbone. The cut, similarly, is close to Herringbone's Osaka cut, but slightly more drapey.

Even if you don't intend to order something, it would be well worth your time to book an appointment with Patrick and have chat and a browse through their swatches (some of the top-end Loro Piana stuff is absolutely amazing, with a price tag to match).

I can post some pics of my jacket if you want a feel for their style.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All due respect, but really? You think $1300 is expensive for Super 120's Loro Piana english made MTM? Seems very reasonable to me and I'd expect you would pay that for that kind of quality fabric off the rack.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
All due respect, but really? You think $1300 is expensive for Super 120's Loro Piana english made MTM? Seems very reasonable to me and I'd expect you would pay that for that kind of quality fabric off the rack.

So have you decided if you'll go this route?

monogram

Reaction score
Pics, as promised...

J3.jpg

J1.jpg

J2.jpg

The fabric is a Loro Piana cashmere/wool(10/90, I believe) tan and brown houndstooth with a small purple overcheck, which isn't really visible from any great distance. At the time, they only had two shoulder choices, of which I chose the softer version. The pockets are patch and the buttons are brown horn.

+1.

I'm not aware of any other Melbourne-based MTM services that offer this quality (and selection) of fabric for the price they are asking. My Herringbone suits, which as I mentioned in my previous post are comparable, have cost between $1000 - $1350. FWIW, Adriano Carbone (who also heads up the MTM program at Henry Bucks) starts at $2000 for MTM.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric looks nice, but I think you could do with a bit more waist suppresion and I'd lower the button stance. Are Suit Shop suits fully canvassed? Pernac Paris is just as good an option I feel. Possibly not yet the options of fabric as some others (even so, they have a very good range of Vitale Barberis, Guabello, Dormeuil and E. Thomas), but they're still growing their range and they're based in Melbourne. And all their suits are fully canvassed. And there are other MTM houses around with similar prices or lower, for offshore MTM. Heck, in Sydney you can get full bespoke from Zink and Sons for as low as $1795. It pays to shop around.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Think it looks great. Personally I also would have a tiny bit more waist suppression but the shoulders look good and the roll on the lapel is very nice. It's making my decision to try them out a little easier.

Their jkts are 2/3 canvassed with an option for full canvassing, Herringbone RTW are only half canvassed (I think) and I really like my H/Bone suit I have so this is fine for me really.

I think for Zink and Sons, while their bespoke may be from $1795, their house style would be pretty out of date, though I'm just assuming this from what I have seen in the windows the many times I've walked past. I think there has been mention of them trying to move with the times a bit more in another thread previously though, but their showroom is horrible looking.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's a nice sportstcoat you have there. The cloth you're talking about is also fairly good, but expensive for what it is (a 90:10 blend of wool and cashmere). The colours in that book, however, are spectacular. There is a very nice brown herringbone. The chest on the coat is good for MTM. I would not want to see any waist suppression, but it could easily be added by a competent alterations tailor, so it's no deal breaker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics