• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit rotation

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of changing jobs from one with a business casual dress code to one with a significantly higher sartorial standard (i.e., suits). Â In preparation for my move, I have bought two suits in the past few weeks, doubling the number of suits in my wardrobe. Â Of the four suits, three are standard business suits (Corneliani, Baldessarini, Zegna) and one is a more contemporary number (Gucci) that I think I could get away with wearing to the office. Â Would you recommend that I purchase another suit so that I have a different suit for every day of the work week, or should I spend those funds on dress shirts and ties?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get another suit. you can get some cheap dress shirts and ties to hold you over. also make sure you don't wear the same shoes everyday.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
If it isn't going to stress your budget, then get another suit. And have my envy
biggrin.gif
. If another suit is a major investment for you, which it is for me... I think a variety of dress shirts and ties would do fine.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of suit rotations, here's something that's kind of pissing me off. I have four nice suits, and one okay one. I plan to pick up a fifth nice suit in the next couple months. (By nice, I mean that I wouldn't be ashamed to start a post exclaiming that I wore that particular suit to work today -- fairly high standards for this board.). But all of the suits are mid-weight wool, and all but one are in darker colors (I have one light/medium gray). Does this man that to have a complete suit collection I have to buy "summer suits"? Does this mean I have to go out and buy tan, khaki, and really light gray suits? I just abhor those colors in suits, personally. I just can't pull the look off. Plus, to pull the look off appropriately would require me to get some new shirts, new ties, etc. Is it appropriate to have five or six mid-weight suits in navy, black, charcoal, and medium gray (at least 2 with subtle pin stripes)? Keep in mind that I work in NYC.

If you think I should invest in a couple of summer suits, do you have any advice? Do people actually wear Khaki suits in NYC in the Wall Street area?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You do not have to have light-colored suits for summer. Charcoal, grey and navy suits are perfectly appropriate for warmer weather.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd most likely go for a light grey for summer wear. I still don't know if I can pull off a tan suit. Light grey would work for me, especially if I stuck to wearing only dark-colored ties with it (from the Flusser school of thought, keeping some contrast to match my high-contrast Asian complexion.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...(By nice, I mean that I wouldn't be ashamed to start a post exclaiming that I wore that particular suit to work today -- fairly high standards for this board.)....
I know what you mean. Even I sometimes have second thoughts about posting on here.

Re suits: I vote for Glen' plaid. I have a Burberry 2 button in Glen plaid with subtle pink windowpane that is light breathable wool and I get compliments from every direction when wearing it. It dresses up and down nicely.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO spend less on summer suits then your mid-weight or winter suits. ONly wear suits that are season appropriate.

I always cringe a little when I see a guy wearing an 8-9 oz suit in the dead of winter.

A Khaki or tan wool suit is fine for Wall ST.
Most of the firms in NYC relax their dress codes in the summer.
Worst case scenerio leave a suit, shirt, and tie in the office for a quick change when the need for a suit arrives.

I hate to admit that I rarely wore a suit last summer. If I did it was made of linen. I don't suggest wearing linen suits on Wall ST. unless you are a VP.

General Koskov

Reaction score
I know this post gives off my ignorance of the sartorial culture of North American offices, but with all the talk (on boards like this, Esquire magazine, et al.) about how ignorant North Americans are of clothing (e.g. they do not notice opening cuffs, let alone recognise a tailoring-house style) I sometimes wonder why people like us worry about going to a job in a suit that, say, has a ticket pocket or contrasting buttonholes.

I mean, if your peers and superordinates are a bunch of ill-tailored slobs that don't know tweed from terrycloth, why not wear a linen suit on Bay Street (or whatever street)? Of course, I am talking within reason. I.e. no fuschia velvet suits.

Perhaps someone can explain. I, of course, realise that some businesses have not succumbed to the business casual plague or have recovered from it, so I am speaking in general terms.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Several factors to consider in your choice of summer suits is how hot the summers are, how prevalent air conditioning is in your office and other offices, and the local custom in wearing suits in summer. If it's hot and air conditioning is rare, I would suggest you get some lightweight summer suits--for practical purposes not only for appearance. Otherwise, you should feel free to wear in summer any color that goes well with your complexion.

The local dress custom here in Kazakstan is to wear a short-sleeve shirt with a tie (and for not only engineers) because dressing well is important but many offices lack air conditioning. However, I refuse to break the short-sleeve dress shirt taboo, so I'm planning to have at least one linen suit made this summer so that I have a cool summer suit to wear to important meetings.

Anyone have suggestions on good linen material (weight, stitches, fabric mills, etc.)?

Steve

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder why people like us worry about going to a job in a suit that, say, has a ticket pocket or contrasting buttonholes.

I mean, if your peers and superordinates are a bunch of ill-tailored slobs that don't know tweed from terrycloth, why not wear a linen suit on Bay Street (or whatever street)?  Of course, I am talking within reason.  I.e. no fuschia velvet suits.
Wear it because you like the way it looks. Besides, you never know who might notice and appreciate the look you're pulling off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads