Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

suit review for Vulture Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by penguin86, Oct 30, 2015.

1. penguin86

penguin86 Member

I’m a shorter Asian guy with a very slim build. In the past, I’ve always purchased off the rack men’s suits, but I didn’t realize how ridiculous I looked in them (even at the smallest size available) until my fiancee pointed them out and told me I should get a suit that is slim and fits me. So I went online looking for a tailored suit that fits me well because we need to attend a friend’s wedding. I found a local tailor that labeled themselves as “affordable” on their website, but the price was $800. That’s way too expensive for me so I went online looking for a decent alternative. I found this new company called Vulture Suits online and decided to give it a try due to some good discounts that they offered.

I’ve researched a bit for MTM suits and noticed most of the review pictures for Indochino and other similar companies make suits that are quite large even when it is supposed to be MTM, not exactly the slim fit I was looking for. Anyway, I contacted the company and their owner emailed me back. I told him I wanted a very slim fit suit… perhaps I shouldn’t have emphasized that to him, I feel like the pants leg opening could have been a bit bigger (the pants leg opening is 6.25 inches and my waist is 28 inches). What do you guys think? Does it make my legs look too slim? (maybe that discussion can be at another thread lol)

Other than that, the jacket and the pants themselves are of EXCELLENT fit. And the quality is really good. I really like the pure wool fabric, it feels and looks very high-end. The jacket is perfectly balanced and the sewing work seems to be of very high quality workmanship. It has really nice sweat guards, something my other off the rack suits don’t have. The jacket also has some small buttons on the jacket lining that are holding the thread for the larger front buttons. (I have no idea what they are called, but I haven’t seen them before on my other suits). Anyway, the owner asked me if I could do a review for them cause they’re a newer store and would love to hear the feedback, and I said yes. All in all, for a MTM high quality all-wool suit at around $300 shipped, I feel it is really a good bargain.

PROs: really good quality fabrics, very good fit, great sewing work, good sweat guards, good customer service, good shipping time (about 2.5 weeks from order to my home)

CONs: offers only $35 for alteration whereas other companies like Indochino offers $75, website not as intuitive and advanced as Indochino (indochino has better measurement videos where they show you how to measure)

Sorry for the bad pictures, i only have a camera phone, the lighting is bad, and the images are captured off of the house mirror.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nate S

Nate S New Member

Which fabric did you get, and what think of the fabric? How was the texture and softness? I got a suit from them earlier this year. The fit is awesome but the fabric I felt was a little stiff to be a Super 120s wool. Maybe its just because I got a Sharkskin fabric. I'm wondering how the other fabrics are. It's tricky since they don't offer fabric swatches to sample.

3. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Advertising the pair of you. This is a well tried formula 0 two newbies, unknown tailor telling every one how good the firm is. You fool nobody.

4. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior Member

That’s bit harsh. But OP clearly doesn’t have enough knowledge about suit construction, so OP doesn’t have the right (yes, I am being a bit harsh) to post any suit review to misdirect others. Style is subjective, fit can base on pure luck. You have no idea what is quality

5. Nate S

Nate S New Member

If you’re calling me an
    I can’t speak for the original poster, but I have to rebutt against being called an advertiser and a noob about suit construction. If GBR read my comment, I was merely asking about the fabric feel since the fabric in the suit I got from Vulture felt very stiff uncharacteristic of Super 120s. I don’t see how my comment was advertising for them at all.

Regarding my lack of knowledge and experience, sure I may be a new member, but i am no inexperienced when it comes to suiting sir. I have poured over endlessly researching all matters of sortorial subjects such as canvassing, lapel roll, differences in shoulder construction: roped, natural, pleated. I’ve looked into the historical origins of many types of waistcoats, three roll two buttoning, V split waist, armhole height, etc. I’ve also ordered suits from pretty much every MTM suit out there. I have two from Oliver Wicks, two from Black Lapel, Indochino, even bad ones from Tailor4Less and Modern Tailor all to satisfy my curiosity for understanding. I even went full bespoke for my wedding tuxedo. In each case I didn’t just go for defaults I inquired and tested to see how much customization and details they can add. That’s what intrigued me about Vulture Suits. Yes, the fabrics are inferior compared to the fine Italian mills and I was disappointed by the fraying in the buttonholes, but I was intrigued by the option they had to fully customize a suit. I pushed their limits with forward pleats, wide waistband, extra wide peak lapels, and fully custom waistcoat. So yes, I may be new here, but Style is about being a gentleman, so mind your manners and don’t be so quick to judge sir.

6. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior Member

I said OP, who said anything about you? The OP is like "the suit is good! very high quality! good value! Why? I don't know." Don't they teach you to use evidence to back your statements/opinions in high school?