• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Recommendations

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello~
I just found out that my new job's dress code is suit and tie, not business casual. I only have one suit for now and another one that I am picking up this Saturday. Could I get some recommendations on suits to add to my wardrobe?

For now, this is all I have:
RLBL Anthony Solid suit in black - is black appropriate for work?
E.Zegna Milano cut suit in dark navy blue - will be picking up this Saturday

What are some good everyday suits under $800?
Brookes Bros?
JosA Banks??
Suit Supply?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello~
I just found out that my new job's dress code is suit and tie, not business casual. I only have one suit for now and another one that I am picking up this Saturday. Could I get some recommendations on suits to add to my wardrobe?

For now, this is all I have:
RLBL Anthony Solid suit in black - is black appropriate for work?
E.Zegna Milano cut suit in dark navy blue - will be picking up this Saturday

What are some good everyday suits under $800?
Brookes Bros?
JosA Banks??
Suit Supply?
If you have a budget of $800 per suit, don't bother with Joseph A. Bank. Brooks Brothers is fine and more conservative than Suit Supply, but you are going to have to wait for sales to get something good (1818 line) under $800. Suit Supply, assuming you can find a cut and fabric that is conservative enough for your office, is the best bargain of the bunch. Fortunately SS has a B&M store in DC.

For $800, you are getting into MTM territory, which you might want to consider once you get a feel for what you like and what fits.

As for black, it wouldn't be my first choice for a business suit. Since you only have 2 suits right now, you should probably wear it. A lot depends on how the rest of your office is dressing.

thisisfun

Reaction score
I'd consult ebay if I were you.

Topshelfapparel has a pretty good selection in and below your price range; BB is usually <$400

For example, assuming that you're a size 40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-1995-CA...028728?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item43b7f3fa78

As for wearing black to work; the more conservative members of this forum are likely to be much against it, but if it's the only other suit in your rotation you're going to have to deal with it until you can expand your wardrobe. Honestly though, I doubt many will notice; some might even think it's a very dark charcoal or something along those lines.

Last edited:

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know how many suits I'll have to have in my rotation but I think I'll need more than just 3 (I've decided to go with BB's 1818 Milano cut). As for the black suit thing, I can see that it has been beaten to death on this forum and I am perfectly comfortable wearing them. I went to the interview wearing the RLBL black suit with a white silk pocket square LOL. This is a pretty conservative office setting. The problem is that I don't want to wear RLBL ($1700~) and E.Zegna ($2400) suits that often as they were pretty costly...at least to me. I think I'll add BB and then...don't know. I've ruled out JosA Banks and Suit Supply. I'll do more research on the forum and find other brands.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the black suit for work especially on less demanding days. When you take the cat off few will notice and even fewer care that it is black. Black always excites great wailing here but as you have it, wear it and don't worry. Just don't buy another.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads