• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Recommendations for Modern/Slim Fit Developing Professional in 30's for $500-$1000

stylefrog

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I posted this thread earlier today but it no longer exists for some reason. If I violated any rules and it was deleted, my apologies.

I'm 31, I'm sick of poor fitting suits and I need help from the experts (of which I clearly am not). I'm graduating medical school in 6 months and I need a nice slim suit that complements my body type for medical residency interviews. I'm a short, skinny guy with an athletic build, (5' 7.5" height, 165 pounds, 38-39" chest, 15.0 neck, 32 sleeve, 32 waist, 29 inseam). When I buy coats I usually buy a 40 short.

Any recommendations of slim/modern suits between $500-$1000? I value quality, not quantity so I am looking for just one good suit (I'd rather have one nice suit than 5 mediocre suits). I like the J. Crew Ludlow look, but I've read negative to mixed reviews on this forum and the consensus seems that for $600 I can get a better value elsewhere. I was going to order IndoChino for a M2M suit but thankfully I read horror stories on this forum before purchasing. For some reason Brooks Brothers stands out as quality in my head (my Navy uniform is a Brooks Brothers), and their Milano line seems to cater to the slim/modern look ... I'm open to any and all suggestions, I just want the most for my buck.

I just discovered bluefly and Gilt this morning, seems like these are outlets for getting good value for high-quality expensive suits. Please explain any acronyms in your post (I barely figured out what OTR and MTM mean).

Thanks for sharing your expertise folks. And if any of you think I should just suck it up and go to a local tailor for M2M, I'm willing to consider that, but anything over $1000 may be difficult at this point in my life. I realize Bespoke is way out of my league in terms of price.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay. It is the best place to hunt for suits (in my opinion). Buy something quality off Ebay at a deep discount then take it to your tailor. As long as you know your measurements and get the shoulders/chest right, the tailor can usually fix everything else.

stylefrog

Reaction score
You didn't violate any rules. I just moved it here, but haven't had a chance to respond yet. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/511296/...k-questions-classic-menswear-wk-of-nov-2-2015

Oh, gotcha, sorry about that and thank you for the welcome.

Ebay. It is the best place to hunt for suits (in my opinion). Buy something quality off Ebay at a deep discount then take it to your tailor. As long as you know your measurements and get the shoulders/chest right, the tailor can usually fix everything else.

Didn't consider Ebay, thank you for the suggestion!

stylefrog

Reaction score
I ended up going with the Brooks Brothers Milano suit, with extra tailoring to take out some of the torso in the jacket and to taper the pants. I'll let y'all know how it looks when it's ready for pick up in a couple weeks.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with the Brooks Brothers Milano suit, with extra tailoring to take out some of the torso in the jacket and to taper the pants. I'll let y'all know how it looks when it's ready for pick up in a couple weeks.

that was short; I was going to suggest suitsupply in your budget. But, you've got it all figured out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads