• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Question

pizzapizza92

Reaction score
Alright, so I will be going to China for a month this July to teach English in poverty stricken areas. For one week (After the teaching is done) I will be in Beijing. I want to get a suit tailored for me here for my trinket to take back
biggrin.gif
My only dilemma is, I don't know what type of suit to get.

So far I have been told get a charcoal suit. It is plain and really hard to screw up.

I am kind of leaning to getting maybe a charcoal with pinstripes and making it a 3 piece suit.

Basically what I am asking of you all here is to give me some guiding advice as to what kind of suit I should get and what color/style it should be.

I really would like to get a 3 piece one with pinstripes. But, please give me your opinions in regards to my ideas and what you think would be a smart decision to make.

Thank you!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of suits do you already have? If you don't have any suits, a plain two piece charcoal will be the most versatile suit you can own. A three piece with pinstripes is limited in wearability. Also, in the future consider asking questions like this here - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...79716&page=397

pizzapizza92

Reaction score
I have a 2 piece black suit from JCPenny at the moment. I do apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pizzapizza92
I have a 2 piece black suit from JCPenny at the moment. I do apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Put that in the back of the closet and get a two piece charcoal, in midweight wool.

pizzapizza92

Reaction score
Alright, thank you for the input. What about getting a Charcol suit light wool, but having it be a 3 piece?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pizzapizza92
Alright, thank you for the input. What about getting a Charcol suit light wool, but having it be a 3 piece?
A plain 3-piece charcoal is fine if that is what you want as when you wear it without the vest it is magically transformed into a charcoal 2-piece. You may also want to consider navy or gray. Do a search on here for Beijing tailors. I believe there are some good ones in Shanghai but I am not sure what is on offer in Beijing. EDIT: Here's a couple of recent threads on Beijing: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=219746 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=239543

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
A plain 3-piece charcoal is fine if that is what you want as when you wear it without the vest it is magically transformed into a charcoal 2-piece. You may also want to consider navy or gray. Do a search on here for Beijing tailors. I believe there are some good ones in Shanghai but I am not sure what is on offer in Beijing.

I suggest navy first, then charcoal or gray as your second suit. Gray tones, depending on the shade tend to be either are more wintery or summery so navy is a safer choice.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get the color/type of suit that is appropriate for the places/situations you will want to wear it.

pizzapizza92

Reaction score
I will be wearing for pretty much everything. Yacht Clubs, Business meetings, Academic conferences, presentations, etc.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear alot of suits or are you just building your wardrobe?

pizzapizza92

Reaction score
The frequency of my suit wearing is increasing. I would say on average I need to wear a suit about once every other week. I also want to build my wardrobe.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I'd go with a navy blue suit then a charcoal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads