• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit question

houston

Reaction score
This is my first post and I would appreciate any advice or input on a decision I'm trying to make. I found a solid, 2 button charcoal gray Oxxford suit (Manhattan II model) at Filene's Basement for a great price ($800). Its currently on hold for me and I'm trying to decide what to do. Here are the concerns I have with it:

1. The cut/styling seems not optimal. Because of my age (26) and body, it seems that the cut of regular Zegna and Armani really works well for me compared to the older feeling Oxxford. That said, it is beautiful and I would take it to an excellent tailor to bring it in at the sides and alter anything else to perfect the fit (and it fits quite well at the shoulder).

2. I already have a solid charcoal suit which is nice (Burberry) as well as a solid navy (Burberry too) and navy pinstripe (Jos A. Banks - not my favorite). I was actually looking for a deal on either a light gray suit or a charcoal chalk stripe since I have a solid one and actually found a light gray Hart Schaffner Marx gold trumpeter for $300 at filene's (although I think it may have the same styling issues as the Oxxford). Therefore, I'm not sure if this is where I should be dumping $800. Another option could be to buy the Hart Schaffner Marx, get it tailored, and then keep my eye out over the next few months for a charcoal chalk stripe zegna at discount and then buy one full price in a couple of months if I haven't found anything (really couldn't afford both right now and the light grey is better for spring/summer).

Any thoughts on this? By the way, I work in a conservative busness setting.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
If you're having second thoughts, I would suggest against dropping $800 on the suit. You said you had been in search of a light grey, so I'd go with that. Good luck with the final decision -- and welcome to the Style Forum.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't buy it if it's not exactly what you want.

btw, there are several on this forum who 'detest' oxxford, despite all the handwork.

Pierrepont

Reaction score
I think Houston put the same post on AskAndy and got the opposite response of Matador's.  The view there was that he should grab the Oxxford and have a tailor shape it to his body.  This raises an interesting question:  How much can a tailor do to change the basic silhouette of a suit?  I think there are limits to what even the best tailor can do.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone can possibly "detest" Oxxford, as noted in one of the above posts. If someone is a fan of the Armani-type "bold" silhouette, wide cut/huge shoulder pads, he will not favor the Oxxford style. The Oxxford cut is classic; the fabrics beautiful; the styles timeless. But, you should love the suit before dropping $800, even if it's 50% off (or more). If you like a more structured look, such as Armani or Versace, then Oxxford may not be to your liking. (On the other hand, a good tailor can increase or decrease the size of shoulder pads in a jacket.) By the way, I'm not a fan of hart/shaffer/marx -- they seem rather ordinary, in general, to me.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Houston put the same post on AskAndy and got the opposite response of Matador's. Â The view there was that he should grab the Oxxford and have a tailor shape it to his body. Â This raises an interesting question: Â How much can a tailor do to change the basic silhouette of a suit? Â I think there are limits to what even the best tailor can do.
This is what a skilled tailor can do to change a suit without altering the shape, from my understanding: - Alter sleeves, but not drastically - Alter inseam and waist, but not excessively - Alter jacket waist up to 1.5" A skilled tailor may be able to change the chest up to an inch, but the jacket is at risk of loosing it's 'ballance'.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
But, you should love the suit before dropping $800, even if it's 50% off (or more).
Always remember that -- even with a sale -- you'd be paying 50% of the original price for something you might not need (or want, as the case may be).

friendlyone

Reaction score
This is a difficult one. If you don't like the cut of a suit, you won't wear it. And the thought that you can alter the cut of the Oxxford radically is just a fantasy.

But equally until you buy something of quality (i.e., not an Armani), you will never begin to understand clothing.

My suggestion would be to go to a high end store, try on all the best names, and see which one has cuts that you like. Then try to find that brand, in your size, on Ebay...or at Filenes Basement.

houston

Reaction score
I think I should first clarify that I'm a fan of the zegna style more than the armani. I also really like how some hickey freemans fall on me. The oxxford just seems pretty sacklike, but perhaps nipping it in a little is all it needs. The lapels also seem just a bit long and wide. I know oxxford has been coming out with some more forward leaning models, but I don't think this is one (anyone know anything about what the different models are?). I'm thinking I might buy it and get the tailor's opinion (30 day return policy). Thanks for the advice thus far.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
That's a really handsome suit. I wouldn't mind having it for myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads