• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit question: Shoulder fits, chest doesn’t

Caesar299

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have recently gone through my closet looking for a interview suit sadly to find many don’t fit anymore. I’ve put on a little weight and where I was once a 36s (I’m 5’ 6” 150lb) now the chest on a few of my suits is popping up I’ve also heard people say the lapel is popping up. I asked the tailor at my work what she thought and she said I’m actually a 38 regular and there’s nothing she could do about a small size. I asked several sale associates after trying a few sizes, they all thought I was a 36s, they said the 38 looks like my dads jacket (the shoulder comes out pretty far). The length on my banana republic jackets and j crew jackets (yes I’m not rich) are good and the shoulder seem is perfectly at the shoulder but the chest just pops up a bit. Have any of you experienced this or know what this could be caused by? Btw there is no X shape from the stomach being to tight or anything like that

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called having a chest. If you have pecs the jacket and lapels may not lay smoothly even though it fits across your shoulders. You might need to find a brand cut with a little more room in the chest, or see if your current jackets can be let out, maybe from the sides to give you a little more room.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a photo would really help. If you just need a little more room in the chest, most RTW jackets can be let out up to an inch.

Caesar299

Reaction score

Attachments

• BB8E777D-B79F-4957-9194-E4CC014E2D5A.jpeg
    BB8E777D-B79F-4957-9194-E4CC014E2D5A.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 491

Anachronist

Reaction score
Yup, that one is visibly not draping well over the chest area. At this point and with today's very slim RTW cuts you'll either have to size up and have the jacket taken in around the waist slightly or go MTM or, if you can and want to afford it, bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics