• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit question: Shoulder fits, chest doesn’t

Caesar299

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have recently gone through my closet looking for a interview suit sadly to find many don’t fit anymore. I’ve put on a little weight and where I was once a 36s (I’m 5’ 6” 150lb) now the chest on a few of my suits is popping up I’ve also heard people say the lapel is popping up. I asked the tailor at my work what she thought and she said I’m actually a 38 regular and there’s nothing she could do about a small size. I asked several sale associates after trying a few sizes, they all thought I was a 36s, they said the 38 looks like my dads jacket (the shoulder comes out pretty far). The length on my banana republic jackets and j crew jackets (yes I’m not rich) are good and the shoulder seem is perfectly at the shoulder but the chest just pops up a bit. Have any of you experienced this or know what this could be caused by? Btw there is no X shape from the stomach being to tight or anything like that

Shawl Lapel

Reaction score
It's called having a chest. If you have pecs the jacket and lapels may not lay smoothly even though it fits across your shoulders. You might need to find a brand cut with a little more room in the chest, or see if your current jackets can be let out, maybe from the sides to give you a little more room.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a photo would really help. If you just need a little more room in the chest, most RTW jackets can be let out up to an inch.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Yup, that one is visibly not draping well over the chest area. At this point and with today's very slim RTW cuts you'll either have to size up and have the jacket taken in around the waist slightly or go MTM or, if you can and want to afford it, bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.