Suit question (lapel)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jallen95, May 12, 2013.

1. jallen95

jallen95 New Member

Hello, i'm getting a suit custom made for my prom, and my tailor told me to get 4 yards of fabric for the suit. I'm 6 feet tall, about 165 pounds. However, i want the lapels to be a separate color from the suit, so how much yards of fabric should i get for the lapel? Please and thank you

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Ask your tailor.

3. jallen95

jallen95 New Member

I'd like to know before the morning because it needs to be bought by tomorrow, and he isn't available by phone at this time of night.

4. Alex Hayes

Alex Hayes Well-Known Member

I have no idea. But, I can give a little advice. If you don't get a good answer by the time you need it, just get the 4 yards for the suit than get another yard in what you want for the lapels. I would imagine one quarter of the fabric needed for a whole suit wouldn't be used solely on the lapels but that way you will be safe and if the lapels don't work out you still have the 4 yards for a single color suit.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Well, you should have asked your tailor already.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

I fear that this sound like fancy dress more than a suit.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I believe the facings would usually be cut along the length of the fabric, so I'd probably buy about 1m to be sure. I can't imagine any reason you'd need more than 1m to cut just the facings.

8. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Don't take this as being meant rudely, but how well have you thought through this decision? Are you having something custom made that you plan to wear only once? If you plan to wear the suit after prom, in what situations would you expect it to be serviceable if the lapels are a different color from the rest of it? Is it in the style of a "dinner suit" (American tuxedo) or a business suit? In the latter case, lapels a different color from the rest of the garment likely would look odd in most situations.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. A business suit with lapels that are not the same color as the jacket sounds like a massive waste of money.

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

He said that the suit's for prom, and it's got contrasting lapels. Maybe I'm reading into things, but somehow, I thought that implied that it's not for business [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The confusion is whether he's talking about a tuxedo (dinner suit) which would have contrasting lapels due to material (and possibly color if the jacket is midnight blue) or if he's getting a normal lounge suit with weird lapels. The former makes sense; the latter is pointless. I agree neither are suitable for business, but the former is at least suitable for life occasions other than prom.

12. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

+1. Thank you for this elaboration. The OP's use of the term "suit," rather than "dinner suit" or "tuxedo," led me to believe he was referring to what is known as a business suit or lounge suit. If this is the case, one with lapels a different color from the rest of the suit would be of limited or no usefulness after the occasion for which it was made has passed. Hence, my inquiry regarding how committed the OP is to this decision.

13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1