• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit pulling not covering up collar points? Pictures

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide how this suit fits me. My biggest concern is that the lapels are pulling a bit, I think, and don't quite cover up the points of the collar. If I really stand up straight and put my shoulders back it gets worse. What, if anything, could a tailor do to adjust this? Sorry about the dirty mirror. I can't figure out how to take clear pictures elsewhere in the house.
cimg0517m.jpg
cimg0531nf.jpg
cimg0532b.jpg
cimg0533a.jpg
cimg0534v.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a wide-spread collar on your shirts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow

+1

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the points supposed to be covered or am I making something out of nothing?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
+1. Get a shirt that has a collar with more spread.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would of course help. Does it look out of place as it is, though? Most of my shirts are point collar so they'll be more uncovered than those pictured.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Think about it, there have been many collar styles that have gone in and out of favor where you won't get coverage, such as long point collars and tab collars. I don't think there's any strict rule about this.

Corgi

Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. Have seen worse things. Incidentally is that a Banana Republic shirt?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corgi
Doesn't look too bad in my opinion. Have seen worse things. Incidentally is that a Banana Republic shirt?

No, it isnt. The higher button stance on this one does make me a big pear shaped though.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need better full length pictures ... jacket might be too small across upper chest ... also looks like balance is off but need better pix

you look beefy across the chest ... maybe a big neck for your height ... if big head too, def. need bigger collars

yes collar points & edges should be covered. there are cases when it looks ok otherwise (e.g. OCBDs) though

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a different suit,it doesn't fit you well.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
need better full length pictures ... jacket might be too small across upper chest ... also looks like balance is off but need better pix

you look beefy across the chest ... maybe a big neck for your height ... if big head too, def. need bigger collars

yes collar points & edges should be covered. there are cases when it looks ok otherwise (e.g. OCBDs) though

Big neck for my height...I donno. I'm about 5'9-5'10 and 16.5 neck. The jacket is supposed to be slim cut and it's definitely on the smaller side of fit...although I don't jump and say it's too small when trying it on. My tailor thought it fit great. I'll try and get full pics tomorrow. I tried today but failed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads