• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit People: Does this suit fit right?

barrygavin

Reaction score
So I don't know much about suit fits, other than general things like sleeve length.

Today I went to the Ben Sherman store and bought a suit that I liked and was significantly marked down.

They were running out and I figured if I didn't like it after getting some second opinions, or if there were serious faults that couldn't be tailored, then I'd just take it back.

Here are some pictures of me wearing it. What do you think needs to be altered, and does it fit well enough overall to keep?

The biggest thing I noticed is the sleeve length (Also the pants need to be hemmed but other than that they look fine so I didn't include pictures of them).

Thanks for any advice.

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic4.jpg

thunderthighs

Reaction score
My first impression is that it's your big brother's suit but then the jacket looks weirdly short. It's so weird looking, in fact, that I'd just take it back and try again.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what the suit is for really. BS make fashion suits, which is why the length is so short. It's far too short for any type of business use if that is what you intend to use it for. I think this is your biggest issue as it can't really be fixed unlike the sleeves that can be taken up etc.

A useful quote to remember when your buying a suit is this -

"A coat should be like a good lawyer, it should always cover your ass".

barrygavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
My first impression is that it's your big brother's suit but then the jacket looks weirdly short. It's so weird looking, in fact, that I'd just take it back and try again.
is it the sleeve length that's making it look that way though? Or are other things just not falling right?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it back, no doubts here. The jacket is too big in the shoulders and too short. Impossible to fix.

StephenB

Reaction score
It is kinda bizarre, the sleeves are very long and the jacket is very short.

barrygavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Depends on what the suit is for really. BS make fashion suits, which is why the length is so short. It's far too short for any type of business use if that is what you intend to use it for. I think this is your biggest issue as it can't really be fixed unlike the sleeves that can be taken up etc.

A useful quote to remember when your buying a suit is this -

"A coat should be like a good lawyer, it should always cover your ass".

I got it for either interviews or other stuff. I just figured that because I'm a shorter guy that longer suits don't go well with my body type. I have another suit, but it feels a lot bigger than this one and the pants don't really fit well.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I'd size down and get an L if thats an R and take new pictures. That jacket is pretty hopeless as it stands. The rise on the pants also looks ridiculously short for a suit.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Very strange suit. I bet if you made the sleeves the right length it wouldn't look as strange. For a mall brand, it seems to fit OK. Shoulders are a mess... but eh... you could do worse.

barrygavin

Reaction score
thanks for the replies everyone, I'll probably be taking it back to try again. I'll post other pictures when I find something better.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb
I'd size down and get an L if thats an R and take new pictures. That jacket is pretty hopeless as it stands. The rise on the pants also looks ridiculously short for a suit.

What does this even mean? For a suit? If they were odd trou, would they be still short, or just the right length? Is there some sort of rise minimum I am unaware of?

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
What does this even mean? For a suit? If they were odd trou, would they be still short, or just the right length? Is there some sort of rise minimum I am unaware of?
It would still be short for odd trousers, just saying it really stands out as part of the suit. Edit: The shortness of the jacket could certainly be adding to the effect, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads