• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit People: Does this suit fit right?

barrygavin

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
So I don't know much about suit fits, other than general things like sleeve length.

Today I went to the Ben Sherman store and bought a suit that I liked and was significantly marked down.

They were running out and I figured if I didn't like it after getting some second opinions, or if there were serious faults that couldn't be tailored, then I'd just take it back.

Here are some pictures of me wearing it. What do you think needs to be altered, and does it fit well enough overall to keep?

The biggest thing I noticed is the sleeve length (Also the pants need to be hemmed but other than that they look fine so I didn't include pictures of them).

Thanks for any advice.









 

thunderthighs

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
1
My first impression is that it's your big brother's suit but then the jacket looks weirdly short. It's so weird looking, in fact, that I'd just take it back and try again.
 

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Messages
4,470
Reaction score
4,207
Depends on what the suit is for really. BS make fashion suits, which is why the length is so short. It's far too short for any type of business use if that is what you intend to use it for. I think this is your biggest issue as it can't really be fixed unlike the sleeves that can be taken up etc.

A useful quote to remember when your buying a suit is this -

"A coat should be like a good lawyer, it should always cover your ass".
 

barrygavin

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by thunderthighs
My first impression is that it's your big brother's suit but then the jacket looks weirdly short. It's so weird looking, in fact, that I'd just take it back and try again.
is it the sleeve length that's making it look that way though? Or are other things just not falling right?
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,135
Reaction score
682
Take it back, no doubts here. The jacket is too big in the shoulders and too short. Impossible to fix.
 

StephenB

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
132
Reaction score
16
It is kinda bizarre, the sleeves are very long and the jacket is very short.
 

barrygavin

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Depends on what the suit is for really. BS make fashion suits, which is why the length is so short. It's far too short for any type of business use if that is what you intend to use it for. I think this is your biggest issue as it can't really be fixed unlike the sleeves that can be taken up etc.

A useful quote to remember when your buying a suit is this -

"A coat should be like a good lawyer, it should always cover your ass".


I got it for either interviews or other stuff. I just figured that because I'm a shorter guy that longer suits don't go well with my body type. I have another suit, but it feels a lot bigger than this one and the pants don't really fit well.
 

seanpatrickb

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
215
Reaction score
6
I'd size down and get an L if thats an R and take new pictures. That jacket is pretty hopeless as it stands. The rise on the pants also looks ridiculously short for a suit.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Very strange suit. I bet if you made the sleeves the right length it wouldn't look as strange. For a mall brand, it seems to fit OK. Shoulders are a mess... but eh... you could do worse.
 

barrygavin

Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
thanks for the replies everyone, I'll probably be taking it back to try again. I'll post other pictures when I find something better.
 

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
18,399
Reaction score
17,368
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb
I'd size down and get an L if thats an R and take new pictures. That jacket is pretty hopeless as it stands. The rise on the pants also looks ridiculously short for a suit.

What does this even mean? For a suit? If they were odd trou, would they be still short, or just the right length? Is there some sort of rise minimum I am unaware of?
 

seanpatrickb

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
215
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
What does this even mean? For a suit? If they were odd trou, would they be still short, or just the right length? Is there some sort of rise minimum I am unaware of?
It would still be short for odd trousers, just saying it really stands out as part of the suit. Edit: The shortness of the jacket could certainly be adding to the effect, though.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 92 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 165 31.5%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 86 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 32 6.1%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 32 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,665
Messages
9,203,237
Members
193,241
Latest member
RecentComment

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top