• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Pant Alterations Question

bcjohn

Reaction score
I have three Oxxford suits that I spent a lot of money on. The jackets fit well, but the pants have never fit well. The rise is too long and they are too baggy, especially around the side seam pockets and in the legs. The pants have never looked of felt right to me. I have had the pants altered, but never to my liking. I would like the pants to have a slimmer, more "custom fit" look. I am thinking this may require substantial alterations or even a re-cutting of the pants. Do you think I can get the pants to fit the way I describe, or would the cut of the Oxxford suit or the amount of alterations necessary prevent this from happening? Assuming it's possible to do the alterations, can some recommend a tailor in New York City or Philadelphia who could do what I am looking for? Thanks.

aldica

Reaction score
Undoubtedly, there are many tailors that can do the job. The easiest way to locate them is ask the leading mens' store salespeople. Assuming we have that question handled, let's deal with the deeper issue: 1) is Oxxford the correct cut for you? If you are unhappy with the way it fits, consider another brand. 2) If you are wedded to Oxxford, which I think very highly of, you may want to consider attending their local trunk show, where you can have a suit made more to your individual needs?

fongstar

Reaction score
I'm going through this right now too. Here's what my tailor had to say about it:

- Try on the pants and have the tailor alter it on the spot for you
- Try it on one pant first to make sure you like the fit
- It is a higher cost if pockets need to be altered; otherwise, it's not that expensive.

The best bet would be see a good tailor to get one of your pants altered to your exact liking before you adjust all your pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads