• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Options in DC/MD/VA - MTM or Bespoke

stat1

Reaction score
Been searching through various threads and was hoping to get some updated information. Does anyone have any good options for MTM or bespoke in the DC/MD/VA area? From, what I could find most recommend Fields for Bespoke and either English American, Fox, or Sofio's for MTM. Also, thrown in the mix are Nordstrom, Saks, and Neiman's.

In my past experience, the big box stores are hit or miss and Sofio's gets inconsistent reviews. It seems like Field's starts above 3K for a two piece suit which I cannot afford. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would much rather prefer to stay local then head to NY for multiple fittings (added cost and time). Thank you.

stat1

Reaction score

Are you in a rush? You could use Chan. I think they come about twice a year now.

Thanks for the reply. I was considering Chan and Gordon Yao as well. Chan looks like he will be in DC in April. Gordon Yao's schedule hasn't been updated for 2015 yet. The only thing that concerns me with traveling tailors are the lack of fittings. I'm sure they will be much better than anything OTR but the fact that you don't have subsequent fittings is troublesome. I believe they will send you a basted jacket for an additional $200 but again, you don't get their expertise for the actual fitting.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, there is New York with more than a few options.
I would stay away from Saks for MTO based on my experience with them
in San Francisco. several years ago. Just a pair of MTO slacks- a minor project, I figured. Conclusion: a full refund.

Last edited:

stat1

Reaction score

Or, there is New York with more than a few options.
I would stay away from Saks for MTO based on my experience with them
in San Francisco. several years ago. Just a pair of MTO slacks- a minor project, I figured. Conclusion: a full refund.

Definitely, way more options in New York. Just looking for closer options to home to avoid extra time and cost spent on travel. I agree the big box stores can be hit or miss. Looking pretty sad in this area. Might have to bite the bullet and head that way. Hopefully, someone has some updated information. Thanks.

stat1

Reaction score
Any recommendations out there? Thanks.

beowolf

Reaction score
I was asking the same question last week. I have purchased 8 suits from English American but Elio has retired and you will now be dealing directly with Tom James corp for suits. I would like to look for other options.

stat1

Reaction score

What is your price range, what are your expectations and what do you currently look like in your suits?

I would pay Chan prices for bespoke with multiple fittings. MTM starting under 1500. I've done MTM at a much higher price point and although happy with the service the end result was not as expected. A full return and no longer willing to gamble with the big box stores. I'm not sure what you mean by expectations. Fit varies by brand but there is a tendency for lapels to bow and sleeves to fit snug. Any thoughts?

stat1

Reaction score

I was asking the same question last week. I have purchased 8 suits from English American but Elio has retired and you will now be dealing directly with Tom James corp for suits. I would like to look for other options.

I'm guessing Tom James corp is no good? DC is horrible! Please me know if you find something worth exploring. Thanks!

WeakMonday

Reaction score
7 years ago I tried Hamza Simrick for MTM... results meh.
6 years ago I tried WW Chan in DC with Patrick for bespoke with one mailed fitting... results pretty good (though at the time it felt pretty awesome).
In 2013 and 2014 I tried Chan in Shanghai a few times... each time with multiple fittings... results good.
And then finally two Neapolitan tailors in Naples this year... results mind blowing... off the charts.

By expectations I mean just how well you expect a suit to fit, look and feel. At this point the best answer you will get is to try Chan in DC. If your expectations are moderate... you will most likely be pretty happy with the results.

stat1

Reaction score

7 years ago I tried Hamza Simrick for MTM... results meh.
6 years ago I tried WW Chan in DC with Patrick for bespoke with one mailed fitting... results pretty good (though at the time it felt pretty awesome).
In 2013 and 2014 I tried Chan in Shanghai a few times... each time with multiple fittings... results good.
And then finally two Neapolitan tailors in Naples this year... results mind blowing... off the charts.

By expectations I mean just how well you expect a suit to fit, look and feel.  At this point the best answer you will get is to try Chan in DC.  If your expectations are moderate... you will most likely be pretty happy with the results.

Thanks for the info. Do you think it was worth doing the mailed fitting with Chan?

I'm jealous. Would love to go to Naples and not just for the tailors. Thanks again for the input.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just did Fox Samuelsohn MTM trunk show and was very happy with the service (although have not received the suit yet). Paul Stuart is coming to DC in a month or so, and I understand their MTM is excellent. Their NY store has actual full bespoke, but not sure if the DC branch will have that, or how good it would be. I believe Everards does Hickey MTM, but have not tried it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads