• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit measurements, totally confused

james25

Reaction score
my chest is 36'', waist 32'', inside leg is 32'' i think

i'm 5' 8''

despite having 36'' chest, i currently wear 38short jackets as 36'' jackets are too tight around my arms and shoulders...

i wear 32regular trousers obviously, but i'm not entirely sure where trousers legs 'should' finish at the bottom of my legs.

few questions i need to ask...

does 38S sound like the right sized suit to wear with regards to my height and other sizes?

should I post more measurements?

also, could someone also give a brief explanation of how best to take the main measurements...i'm sure i'm getting it wrong!

appologies for the long, noobie thread.

james25

Reaction score
and the 38 is pretty loose on my chest, but i'm not really sure if it looks right or not...should i post pictures of my suit so you experts can decide

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james25
i wear 32regular trousers obviously, but i'm not entirely sure where trousers legs 'should' finish at the bottom of my legs.
Here's your answer. It depends on how narrow your trousers are...
Originally Posted by a tailor
if you make a narrower bottom on the trousers you will have to shorten them. thats because the narrower bottom will rest on a higher point on your instep. this would give you a large break instead of a slight break.

tripp

Reaction score
if your over-arm measurement is 8 or 9 inches larger than your chest measurement, then it makes sense for you to go up in size. otherwise, you need to find a jacket with a bit more room, which varies by brand and model. also, a 32" inseam seems quite long but not impossible for your height. if your legs really are that long, then definitely stick with a short jacket, not a regular.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james25
despite having 36'' chest, i currently wear 38short jackets as 36'' jackets are too tight around my arms and shoulders...

Could it be that your chest measurements were taken accurately, e.g. I found that my measurements were slightly off when I was using a thin metal tape ruler as opposed to using a proper tailor's measuring tape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads