• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit made in Shanghai - How many days needed?

Gert

Reaction score
HI,

After reading a bit about different options for having a suit made in Shanghai on these forums, I've decided to have one suit and 10-15 shirts made at either Tailor Dave of WW Chan. But I was also looking at having two or three additional suits made at the clothing market (Shanghai Shi Liu Pu Cloth Market), however after reading a bit here in the forums, I'm wondering - would I be better of getting a ready-made suit in a shop and have a few alterations made?

The idea about the other suits is that I can have something for parties or not-so-important occasions. They don't need to be "good suits" by ant Styleforum-like standard.Yet it'd be nice if they fit me quite well, and that I don't pay more for them than I need. Are there any recommendations for shops for buying suits, not having them made?

There is one problem though: Time. I will only be in Shanghai for one week. I hope to have time for measurements on a Saturday, and my plane leaves midday the following Wednesday. Dave mentions (or at least mentioned on their previous not-crappy-all-flash site) that they could make one in two days if necessary - but I know at least three or four fittings is normally recommended.

Seeing as I should be able to get a good suite at Daves or Chan for <5000RMB, less than a third if what it would otherwise cost me, I *want* to have one made. But I don't want to stress the suit makers so much that I get a product which doesn't really fit or is not well made.

Anyone with any recommendations based on my ramblings?

Also, tips for shoe stores is highly apreciated!

Last edited:

Yimmerman

Reaction score
I think I have some knowledge to add here:

1) WW Chan usually will ask around 1 month - maybe they can push it if you ask. The costs start at c. RMB 8,000 for a 2pc suit. I just placed a order at Eleganza Uomo with Raymond (http://eleganzauomo.com/). He used to work with WW Chan, Super 140s are c. RMB 6,000 (can't remember exactly). Final fitting is next week Friday, so far the experience has been very good. Maomin Lu has many tailors, of which many offer 2 suits and 3 shirts deal in the window for c RMB 6,000. Worth checking out.
2) The fabric markets will certainly be able to make suits in this time. Expect to pay c. RMB 500 for a 2pc suit. I think value-for-money can be quite good. I have suit order outstanding there and should know by next week. I think this is a good place for your party suits, I don't think you can get than much cheaper in stores.

3) Billy's Shoes is a custom based shoe maker in Shanghai who asks for RMB 1,500 for a pair of Goodyear welted shoes. However, turnover time is c. about 3 weeks for a first time order.
4) There are many cheap shoe stores, though they stock Chinese styles, which I don't like. Western luxury brands are expensive in Shanghai. If you have time to go to Hong Kong thats preferably for shopping of known brands.

5) I would not place a order of 10-15 shirts at once. Place orders at different tailors, see which one is best and let them ship further shirts you need to your hometown. They all do it and its not very expensive, especially compared with bad shirts. Here Ascot Chang, which have a store in the Dickson center close to Maoming Lu, has an excellent reputation. I urge you to rather get 4 excellent shirts there than 15 mediocre ones!

You're welcome!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay with Chang and Chan to achieve decent quality.

Chan will certainly be able to take measurements and then might be able to do a baste fitting, then complete. They would work straight from measurements to finish if you visited them when they tour so some risk but controlled.

Gert

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

So WW Chan is recommended over Tailordave? Two suits and thre shirts for 6,000RMB sounds like a good deal if they are good suits, but again, there is a time cinstraint - and whom of the tailors at Maomin Lu would be the better choice?

The schedule is sort of ready now, and I might have time for fittings Thursday 29th or Friday 30th of March instead of having to wait until Saturday . And again, I leave midday April the 4th..

This is my first bespoke suit (or bespoke-anything for that matter) and naturally I feel a bit lost.

I had not thought about the possibility of them sending the suits afterwards, the trouble is that this would cost me 250RMB + 10% toll and then 25% VAT on product cost + toll + shipping cost... But I assume they might be willing to write down the value of the intent somewhat?

As for the shirts, the reason i'm in need of 10+, is that I have unfortunately gained some punds in the last year and a half, and I just need some shirts until I loose them again. For ~100RMB I don't really care THAT much of the qualty. I am, after all, going to fit into my other shirts again in 6 months time. Or so i hope. :p

Good to hear that most of the tailors also be willing to store my measurement, so that I can order more shirst later.

Are there anything very particular about the chinese style shoes?

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input.

So WW Chan is recommended over Tailordave? Two suits and thre shirts for 6,000RMB sounds like a good deal if they are good suits, but again, there is a time cinstraint - and whom of the tailors at Maomin Lu would be the better choice?

The schedule is sort of ready now, and I might have time for fittings Thursday 29th or Friday 30th of March instead of having to wait until Saturday . And again, I leave midday April the 4th..

This is my first bespoke suit (or bespoke-anything for that matter) and naturally I feel a bit lost.

I had not thought about the possibility of them sending the suits afterwards, the trouble is that this would cost me 250RMB + 10% toll and then 25% VAT on product cost +  toll + shipping cost... But I assume they might be willing to write down the value of the intent somewhat?

As for the shirts, the reason i'm in need of 10+, is that I have unfortunately gained some punds in the last year and a half, and I just need some shirts until I loose them again. For ~100RMB I don't really care THAT much of the qualty. I am, after all, going to fit into my other shirts again in 6 months time. Or so i hope. :p

Good to hear that most of the tailors also be willing to store my measurement, so that I can order more shirst later.

Are there anything very particular about the chinese style shoes?

Chan has a decent reputation - try searching here for "tailordave". When you have had little success you have your answer.

Freight and taxes will be to you not the tailor. Whether the nominal invoice that accompanies the goods is what you actually paid is another matter and they are accustomed in my experience to 'dealing' with that.

Gert

Reaction score
Whether the nominal invoice that accompanies the goods is what you actually paid is another matter and they are accustomed in my experience to 'dealing' with that.

That is my experience when buying other stuff from China too. I'll send Chan a mail and ask about the package deal from their store in Maoming Lu, and how much time they'll need. :)

edit: Any tip for choosing fabrics and styles? The primary suit I'm after from Chans is a navy coloured suit. Is navy ans thread (maybe 120s?) the only things I'll need to concern myself with? Other than that, I know I want it single breasted, but I'm not really sure if I'm better off with one or two vents, the width of the lapels etc.

If noone has any conrete tips and fuidelines here, I'm guess it would be pretty safe to let th CHan tailor guide me through those choices, or should I have made up my mind about those things beforehand?

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is my experience when buying other stuff from China too. I'll send Chan a mail and ask about the package deal from their store in Maoming Lu, and how much time they'll need. :)

edit: Any tip for choosing fabrics and styles? The primary suit I'm after from Chans is a navy coloured suit. Is navy ans thread (maybe 120s?) the only things I'll need to concern myself with? Other than that, I know I want it single breasted, but I'm not really sure if I'm better off with one or two vents, the width of the lapels etc.

If noone has any conrete tips and fuidelines here, I'm guess it would be pretty safe to let th CHan tailor guide me through those choices, or should I have made up my mind about those things beforehand?

I'd get two vents and as far as the lapels go let them suggest the width. Are you getting 2 or 3 button single breasted?

Gert

Reaction score
Two buttons, probably. Apparently, that is what fits me best because of my leg/torso ratio. Personally I like threee button ones best. Chan has not replied tp the mail I sent him, but I'll see if he does before I'm arrive. Another one in the group have a tailor recommended from someone who apperently knows what they are doing when it comes to clothes, so they're a backup option.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have some knowledge to add here:

1) WW Chan usually will ask around 1 month - maybe they can push it if you ask. The costs start at c. RMB 8,000 for a 2pc suit. I just placed a order at Eleganza Uomo with Raymond (http://eleganzauomo.com/). He used to work with WW Chan, Super 140s are c. RMB 6,000 (can't remember exactly). Final fitting is next week Friday, so far the experience has been very good. Maomin Lu has many tailors, of which many offer 2 suits and 3 shirts deal in the window for c RMB 6,000. Worth checking out.
2) The fabric markets will certainly be able to make suits in this time. Expect to pay c. RMB 500 for a 2pc suit. I think value-for-money can be quite good. I have suit order outstanding there and should know by next week. I think this is a good place for your party suits, I don't think you can get than much cheaper in stores.

3) Billy's Shoes is a custom based shoe maker in Shanghai who asks for RMB 1,500 for a pair of Goodyear welted shoes. However, turnover time is c. about 3 weeks for a first time order.
4) There are many cheap shoe stores, though they stock Chinese styles, which I don't like. Western luxury brands are expensive in Shanghai. If you have time to go to Hong Kong thats preferably for shopping of known brands.

5) I would not place a order of 10-15 shirts at once. Place orders at different tailors, see which one is best and let them ship further shirts you need to your hometown. They all do it and its not very expensive, especially compared with bad shirts. Here Ascot Chang, which have a store in the Dickson center close to Maoming Lu, has an excellent reputation. I urge you to rather get 4 excellent shirts there than 15 mediocre ones!

You're welcome!
Hi There,

I'm interested in knowing your experiences with Eleganza Uomo. Have you posted any reviews of your suits made there? Fro RMB 6,000 I think it's a decent price. What kind of fabric was it? What about the construction? Full floating canvass or half? Would you recommend them? I'm looking forward to get a sport coat made and maybe I will try a 2 piece or 3 piece.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads