• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit made by HickeyFreeman/Oxxford for others

seok

Reaction score
In your opinions, do suits made by Hickey or Oxxford lack in quality if they're ones made for retailers?

My question is especially directed for Hickey/Oxxford suits made for smaller shops (Wilkes Bashford, Littler (Seattle), Myers Bro. (Springfield)).

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made for others? You mean, the label says "Oxxford for Neiman Marcus"? It's just a label, dude. It's the same suit.

lisapop

Reaction score
The only variation, tangentially, with Oxxford is the possible disparity of the level of in-house tailors among their various retailers. Oxxford's inherent quality is consistent across the board.
Grayson

LongWing

Reaction score
I was looking at a HF at Dillards about a week ago. It seemed to me that the suit had a lower quality lining than HFs that are available at finer shops or MTM.

In about a week I will be getting a Burberry sport coat that is made by HF. This jacket is at a significantly lower price point than HF, so I expect the quality will be lower as well.

Because of my size, I am a MTM man and don't often look to closely at OTR at department stores.

Regarding Oxxford, I keep hearing about all the Oxxfords at Filene's and have to wonder if they aren't somehow different.

Charles

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably saw a HF Ltd. suit, as opposed to the Hickey Freeman Collection label.  The LTD suit is an inferior line.

As an owner for a "FB Oxxford," I can tell you they are no different. I am in awe of the quality (the lapels are incredible) every time I wear it. They do come with full coat linings most of the time, as FBs main source apparently orders the coats with full linings.

lisapop

Reaction score
With regard to the Oxxford suit, since the "slacks" are already finished with cuffs (possibly meaning the suit was fitted for another person who ended up not purchasing it), make sure they're long enough for you.
Grayson

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both the Oxxford and the Hickey are rather vintage. That doesn't mean they aren't wearable though...

And to answer the original question - no there is rarely any difference in quality. The only exception is if a store specs a suit with slightly less handwork to save money. I've seen this on occasion, though not with Oxxford or HF.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I visit the Oxxford Store almost weekly, and I know the product, the owner, and the CEO.

All Oxxford garments have the same level of workmanship regardless as to whether they were made for the Oxxford Store, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Wilkes Bashford, Louis Boston, etc.

In other words, Oxxford does not have a bridge line or "Oxxford lite" which would be a garment with less workmanship at a lower price. There is one line of maufacture across the board.

However, one store might place an order with higher quality cloths than the next store.

In sum, the "guts" are the same.

Cheers.

seok

Reaction score
" Both the Oxxford and the Hickey are rather vintage. That doesn't mean they aren't wearable though..."

What would be ways to tell if the ebay suits are vintage? The label designs?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The label gives away the Hickey Freeman, and the lapel/gorge shape the Oxxford.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads