• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit linings, silk vs. bemberg, etc.

Ligament

Reaction score
Please explain to me why Bemberg lining, a type of rayon, would be considered a quality lining? Why is silk not used more often for suit linings?

Speaking of Bemberg...how is it different from other synthetics that makes it desireable for suitings?

Best.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cupramonium rayon is what's usually referred to as "bemberg," although some people use the term loosely to cover any mix of materials used in lining suit jackets. This rayon (also called cupro for short) is made from pulp (I've heard wood pulp or even pieces of cotton), making it unlike other man-made fibers which are composed of synthetics. As for why it's used instead of silk, I've read that silk is less durable than cupro bemberg, and tends to get hotter.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I recall isn't bemberg used for various dust bags especially of Gucci, YSL's?

I could have sworn when I looked in some of mine the tags stated bemberg.

rws

Reaction score
If woven well (specifically for linings for clothes, I suppose), silk is at least as durable as Bemberg. Silk breathes better, too, so is cooller in summer and warmer in winter. I find silk tactilely and visually more pleasing.

The problem lies in finding suitable silks. Bemberg is less expensive and a fair imitation of silk, and so has displaced silk in nearly all ready-made suits. Even for a tailor, availability of silk linings is not (I understand) half so great as a generation ago.

On my last trip to China, I made efforts in both Shanghai and Beijing to find silk that was made to line clothes. I visited two or three large fabric or silk sellers in each city and found nothing.

brescd01

Reaction score
According to Centofanti, this great tailor in Philadelphia, silk rips more easily than Bemberg. This may not be mutually exlusive with the above observations, because the silk linings that are available may not be the highest quality possible. Keep in mind that he did not shy away from the finest quality materials of any other part of his suit, eg bone buttons, best fabric, etc, so I do not think he was trying to be self-serving.

rws

Reaction score
. . . silk rips more easily than Bemberg . . . .
That's likely accurate regarding what seems to be available today.  Older silk linings, with self-woven designs acting virtually as rip-stops, did not rip easily.  My last remaining clothes from thirty-five years ago, a dinner coat and a sportcoat, were lined with such silk, and each lining still is unripped despite fairly hard wear.

I suspect that cost was determinative in the apparent extinction of those older lining silks.

Has anyone any idea when Andy will be back on line?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As it turns out, Bemberg Rayon is more expensive in China than most of the silks that tailors here use to line suits. Bemberg Rayon must not be made here yet. Do we know where it is made? Are there patterned bembergs?

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
As it turns out, Bemberg Rayon is more expensive in China than most of the silks that tailors here use to line suits. Bemberg Rayon must not be made here yet. Do we know where it is made? Are there patterned bembergs?

"Bemberg" is the registered tradename for Cupro Rayon made by Asahi Kasei in Japan. Bemberg lining isn't made in CHINA, only in Japan.

I've mostly seen them plain but there are patterned (e.g. twill, jacquard, etc) and with finishes.

I work in the textile field in Japan.

gpe

Reaction score
Interesting. Looks like there are only a few companies around which still produce Bemberg cupro (according to Advanced Fiber Spinning Technology
Av Toshinari Nakajima, K. Kajiwara, J. E. McIntyre). The other larger company being, eh , Bemberg (http://www.bembergitalia.com/). And I guess the have some sort of copyright in Europe?

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is bemberg actually different to viscose? I see things labelled as bemberg, cupro, rayon or viscose and assume that they're basically the same thing.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Bemberg is a made fibre from celulouse just like rayon or acetate but manufactured using a different process and has slightely nicer qualities. It can be made from cotton linter or wood pulp. That's beside the point, it is essentially a man re-made natural fibre equivalent, with similar inherent properties and very different from synthetic fibres like nylon. Whoever said bemberg breathes less than silk above isn't right. Bemberg has a higher water absorbtion property than silk (but less than cotton), making it feel like it breathes more. This is in complete contrast to synthetics, which have practically no water absorbion properties.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This topic has come up repeatedly and there are a few other threads on the subject worth searching for. My personal verdict is that I am going to be content with bemberg and ermazine and not hanker for silk, though it seem that some clients and tailors may prefer silk.

The one thing to be on guard against is crappy synthetic linings.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My tailor prefers silk. For whatever its worth.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once tried red silk lining and it bled onto my shirts, especially the armpits. We tried pit shields for a time but then just decided to replace with bemberg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads