• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jackets - back vents?

purelook

Reaction score
Could anyone please explain what are the aesthetical and practical qualities of the different types of back vents in a jacket.

There is a sinlge vent in the center, double vents and jackets with no vents. Is it only a matter of personal taste?

Thanks!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Like pleated front trousers, they're both a matter of taste and practicality. Vents will offer more movement room, but I think they mainly date back to when people started wearing sportcoats on horseback, especially the double vents (which seems like a pretty English feature indeed). Single vents are fine, but double vents lend a more streamlined look in my opinion. I personally would only go without a vent on a double breasted jacket, but that's me.

coachvu

Reaction score
I think double-vented jackets often make it seem like your butt is sticking out.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Your opinion happens to be wrong.
smile.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I got such a big ass, when I wear double vented jackets, if I have nice waist suppression in the jacket, the vents tend to flare open as they rest on my derriere, giving a pear shaped looked.

purelook

Reaction score
I personally find the single vent more elegant for a single breasted jacket, but I can see why the double vents could be practical too.

How about a single breasted jacket with no back vents?

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Was there not a thread about this very subject last week?

In any event, double vents don't work if one has a large bum. I personally don't care for ventless jackets as they tend to scrunch up when one puts his hands in his pockets. If one doesn't do that, then one need not worry.

Single vents I think are fine, but I much prefer the side vents.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like both single and side vents, but I can't go no-vent. It really depends on the fabric and the context. Side vents err on the side of elegance, and uniformity, and create more of a contoured back shape (though, like pointed out earlier if you have a big ass it's too much). Single-vents work well on shorter jackets, and have more of an American appeal to them - perfect if like the 60s American "The Graduate" style. Of course this all only applies if you don't mind jumping around between styles. If you're looking for what compliments your shape best, I think double vents work for most. Ventless is incredibly shapeless.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I think double-vented jackets often make it seem like your butt is sticking out.

Only if your butt sticks out. That's true of single-vented and unvented jackets as well.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I actually quite like ventless jackets - seems much more sophisticated to my eye...

Lord Byron

Reaction score
The job of a good tailor is to hide physical flaws, whether it be a large rear or curved spine or too much of a belly. So consider the suit and the tailor, not the vent. If you stick your hands in your pants pockets frequently, as I do, get double vents, and the jacket tail will still hang nicely. Double breasted, two button suits lend themselves to no vents or double vents. Double breasted suits with only one button fronts should not be vented, IMO. Personally, the single vent seems to break the cut in the suit in back, but that's just me.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
As a man with a big butt (damn squats...
devil.gif
), I can say that, in order of preference for RTW suits, I prefer single-vented, then double-vented, and no vents last. Double-vents can be pushed open by a prominent butt, thus never appearing to close. But no vents is even worse, as it pulls the quarters so far away from each other that the look of the suit is frequently ruined.

Lately, I've been wondering if my preference would change if I had something made for me by Chan. Couldn't he adjust the cloth such that there would be room for my butt without pulling the vents? I prefer the look and practicality of double vents if my butt didn't ruin it.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much money and time on weight-lifting, which then requires me to spend more money and time on getting clothes to fit properly. Ectomorphs have it easy.
frown.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
interestingly, I've seen a Raf Simons suit where the vents are directly on the sides of the jacket, instead of on the back, at about 1/3 from each side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads