• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit jacket with no buttons on sleeve

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a nice nwt samuelson off of ebay for $199, took it to our local dry cleaner who usually does a great job. There was a new guy working there instead...he measured out the suit and did a nice job. The person that usually does the tailoring pointed out that there were no buttons on the sleeves.

the new tailor said cryptically "new style!". Is this the case or should I run from this guy (which is my instinct)?

tia,

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either the new tailor is pulling your leg, or you are pulling ours.
confused.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait so were their buttons PRIOR to you bringing it there
and now there is none?

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, the seller shipped with no buttons for the sleeves, I didn't notice until I dropped it off.

BABuckeye

Reaction score
Hig quality men's suits and coats are often sold without the buttons sewn on the sleeves. This way, the sleeves can be adjusted to the proper length before attaching the buttons. Typically, you would see some temporary white stiching in the area where the sleeve buttons would go. Naturally, the store selling the coat would include the buttons with the jacket (in a plastic bag in the inner pocket, for example). If the jacket was sold on ebay or at a discount store, there is a chance the buttons were lost and so you may have purchased the coat without buttons. If this is the case, you will want to buy buttons and have your tailor attach them. You'll want 2, 3, or 4 on each sleeve.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
the new tailor said cryptically "new style!"......... should I run from this guy ?
Yes. And, find yourself a competent tailor. BTW, they're rarely located in dry cleaning establishments

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Yes. And, find yourself a competent tailor. BTW, they're rarely located in dry cleaning establishments
Run fast.

I was attending a meeting and noticed a guy who was wearing a jacket without sleeve buttons. My first thought was that he or his wife had bought it on discount and the buttons had been either lost or they never bothered to have them sewn on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads