• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit jacket with 'exposed' pockets

KYConycova

Reaction score
I have an unusual build and so it's usually difficult for me to buy OTR suits. I was in the Boggi Milano store in Genoa the other day looking at suits and they had one which fit me pretty well and needed minimal tailoring but as it was one of their more 'modern' cuts the jacket had what I would call 'exposed' pockets, like I've seen before on wool blazers but not on suits. You can see what I mean on this blazer off of their website:

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding how that affects the formality/wearability of a suit? I bought it regardless because I liked the look and I can always wear it for more casual occasions, but I'm not sure if the pocket style renders it unwearable for anything more serious, like for example a job interview or even to work at a more conservatively dressing organization.

papado

Reaction score
I have an unusual build and so it's usually difficult for me to buy OTR suits. I was in the Boggi Milano store in Genoa the other day looking at suits and they had one which fit me pretty well and needed minimal tailoring but as it was one of their more 'modern' cuts the jacket had what I would call 'exposed' pockets, like I've seen before on wool blazers but not on suits. You can see what I mean on this blazer off of their website:

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding how that affects the formality/wearability of a suit? I bought it regardless because I liked the look and I can always wear it for more casual occasions, but I'm not sure if the pocket style renders it unwearable for anything more serious, like for example a job interview or even to work at a more conservatively dressing organization.

They're known as 'patch' pockets. I have one suit with them but in general I don't like them on more 'formal' garments and prefer to have my odd jackets with them as opposed to the flap pockets.

In theory it does take the suit down on the formality scale but if it's a solid dark color you could probably get away with it if you needed to wear it more formally.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Papado is correct in the tradition of classic menswear. Patch pockets are distinctive of casual classic menswear attire. That said, in light of the increasing casualization (not sure this word actually exists, but I guess you know what I mean), with such a suit you‘ll still be better dressed than the average Joe and all but the strictest companies this attire would be considered absolutely acceptable. I would probably only be careful wearing it to a formal event (e.g. a wedding) unless you know the dress style will be more relaxed.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its been said but I'll pile on. Patch pockets are, unfortunately in my opinion, hyper "in" right now (I'm lookin at you SuitSupply!!).

They are definitely more casual. They have their place. I don't hate them (I'm wearing a SuSu blazer w/ them right now), but I do find it a bit annoying that a lot of the decent RTW is going that way right now.

You will look find wearing them w/ a blazer. A little funny with a suit (but can be done). If you like it, wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads