1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suit jacket too tight, what can be done?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by trigirdbers, Mar 11, 2011.

1. trigirdbers

trigirdbers Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap suit a while back and have been paying the price ever since. After numerous trips to numerous tailors, it actually looks pretty good on me. However, I can't reach forward to do things like wash my hands. Can a tailor fix this problem?

FWIW, the jacket is a 40L but im actually probably a 41 I've come to discover.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

3. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Nothing can be done except to learn the lesson about cheap suits.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your problem could be unrelated to chest size actually. Post pics of you in normal positions and positions of concern for a better assessment.

5. rioni

rioni Senior member

6. trigirdbers

I mean, the wierd thing is, it LOOKS fine, I just couldn't wear it all day in an office. What if I had the armholes raised?

7. patrickBOOTH

I mean, the wierd thing is, it LOOKS fine, I just couldn't wear it all day in an office. What if I had the armholes raised?

It is impossible to raise armholes only drop them. It could be that they are too low, but it could be the chest like you said, or sleeve pitch.

8. trigirdbers

It is impossible to raise armholes only drop them. It could be that they are too low, but it could be the chest like you said, or sleeve pitch.

I feel the tug in the back when I reach forward and the edges of the armholes dig into me. Sleave length is perfect, chest is fine.

9. patrickBOOTH

I feel the tug in the back when I reach forward and the edges of the armholes dig into me. Sleave length is perfect, chest is fine.

It is most likely the armholes then, not the size of the jacket, but I stand by my comment without seeing pictures.

10. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i think if you have to spend more on tailoring than the suit cost, forget it!!

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

What has that got to do with it?. It would be exactly the same if the OP bought an expensive suit which was too small.

The actual lesson here is: Buy a RTW suit of the correct size to start with.

12. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Take a straight pin and pin the center back seam taking it in 1/4" on each side of center back seam exactly where the under collar meets the center back seam. Try the same movements you tried before. If it helps, you can have your tailor take the seam in like you have it pinned. If not you have other issues. This is a shot in the dark but it sometimes helps.

13. asdf

asdf Senior member

^This is interesting.

What is the mechanism there? Is the idea that you are "lifting" the armholes by taking the jacket in there?

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep, sometimes it makes enough of a difference to make the jacket wearable.

15. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

What has that got to do with it?. It would be exactly the same if the OP bought an expensive suit which was too small.

The actual lesson here is: Buy a RTW suit of the correct size to start with.

My assumption - and it sounds like I was wrong - is that the OP thought that the price of cheap suit that didn't fit right plus some alterations would still give him a bargain. My conclusion is the same as yours.

Chris had some interesting information.

16. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

17. trigirdbers

My assumption - and it sounds like I was wrong - is that the OP thought that the price of cheap suit that didn't fit right plus some alterations would still give him a bargain. My conclusion is the same as yours.

Well, thats the strange thing, I bought the suit because I thought that the jacket looked very good on me/looked like it fits. Except for the arm movement thing, it DOES fit quite nicely in every regard. I didn't realize the problem until I tried to type with it on.

18. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

Unfortunately, nothing can be done Bro. Either sell, donate or pass it on to another future Gent. Wouldn't hurt to buy another one...
    http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

19. greger

greger Senior member

Cheap doesn't mean worse than the most expensive rtw. If it is adaptable by alteration then it is good either rich or poor in fit.

Body shapes vary so much from person to person that price doesn't make a better fit with rtw. High price of an rtw is about other factors.

20. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

You're missing the point he's trying to make.

There is something called the poisoned chalice. Or you could call it a trojan horse.

Things that look cheap to start with but end up costing more then they're worth.

If you don't need it. It doesn't work. If you won't wear it. Then no matter the price it's not cheap.