• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Sleeve Length - Choose your Fav

gilwood

Reaction score
I know this topic has been brought up before, but never with pictures! I took a photo of this sign from my tailor. Let me know the favorite length of your suit jacket from the photo:

XeF4

Reaction score
Ultra traditional is going to win by a landslide.

The real question is why doesn't this supprise anyone?

contaygious

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea it was considered ultra traditional.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ultra or nothing. Otherwise you look like a small kid, lol.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
I hate to always be the one going against the grain, but I find traditional and conservative sleeve lengths great too in some outfit instances.

The conserv length can work with unstructured casual blazers and with a hipper streetwear crowd. Night out in the town looks as well. It looks better if you are slim, elongated, tall though and you wear the coat very fitted.

I like my formal suits to be traditional but not ultra.

Ultra is also a very chic look for modern casual wear. For the 'shrunken' blazer look effect.

Also, I find the notion of slim top? Slim bottom..loose top? Loose bottom can now be altered these days.

I don't know if it has to do with the recent economic times, and that art follows life, but I find that doing a twist,
Like a shrunken top blazer with ultra trad sleeves with a billowy loose legged trousers can be done to a couturish effect. (Pants just cannot be oversized though; got to be a correct waisted trouser with a billowy loose leg aesthetic; remember, always 'fit' is key).

My 2cent

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might as well go short sleeve if you like the conservative look, fortunatley no voted for that one so there is nothing to worry about.

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
Sleeve length at ultra traditional but only showing as much cuff as traditional.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Is that from Cardelino? I seem to remember it.

southbound35

Reaction score
In the very middle between traditional and ultra-traditional. Maybe 1/4 longer than ultra and 1/4 shorter than traditional.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually go for a tad bit more than "traditional" (1/4-3/8") but it's a lot harder to get right than the others.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ultra of course! And that's not even showing enough cuff for me.

It's funny because my tailor has that same poster in his shop. That wouldnt happen to be from Express Tailor on the lower east side, would it?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like ultra, but have had to fight with tailors to get it.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 'conservative' length for winter jackets that for me fit the function of outwear, and with which I always wear gloves. Showing shirt cuff is quite an 'exposed' look which seems quite inappropriate in the cold and wet.

mikethenerd2

Reaction score
I prefer conservative, it is glad to see that it is "okay" according to the powers that be (tailors that is).

However, my preference is due to both personal taste and situational factors. I am 26 years old, and it is pretty common for people in my age group to wear longer jacket sleeves than those in the older crowd. In fact, people my age would assume that I bought a jacket at a rummage sale that was too short for me if I went the Ultra traditional route.

Secondly, I teach at a University. I am constantly having my hands up in the air or have then up when writing on the board, pointing to a PowerPoint slide, etc. Therefore, the shirt underneath will be exposed during these time, which is okay; I just don’t like it to be too exposed. If I wore an Ultra traditional style jacket, my students would probably see 8 inches of my shirt when I held my arms up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads