• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket sizing and fit 38 or 40?

tommboy

Reaction score
I am purchasing one of my first suits at the local store and found this great Zegna suit that is very slim fitting. I have an athletic build (broad shoulders small waist) I'm 5 foot 9 170-180 pounds. The guy there was telling me im about a 39. The 38 looks really good but I'm worried the jacket is to small or will become to small (I keep fit and workout). But it was obvious when trying on the 40 that it was too big. The pants fit well accept the area around the ass was too tight, they made it a little bigger and now they fit just great. My question is how do I know if the jacket is to small in the shoulders? Should I be getting the suit tight fitting? And should I be worried out growing the jacket?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to get the 40 and have find a good tailor to size it down to a perfect fit. Then you can have it exactly the way you want it to look. I am in the same boat as you and am in between the 38 and 40. I have always just gone with the 40, since my tailor does a great job at making my clothes fit the way I want them to.

tommboy

Reaction score
****, I'm not gonna be able to do you have pictures maybe I can go from, I'm almost positive the 40 was too big. What else could I even F****** do if there are no 39's?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have to do what anyone does when they are between sizes. choose the one that you prefer.

distinct

Reaction score
I have a 40 inch chest and a 31 inch waist, so I always have this sort of issue. I just buy the suit with the best fitting jacket, and have the jacket & pants altered. There are some brands that have a larger drop than others, which fit me well though.

As for outgrowing it, yes you eventually will if you are working out to get bigger and not just to maintain what you have, though it might take a while to add a few inches to your chest/shoulders... the waist measurement for pants will probably stay pretty much the same.

tommboy

Reaction score
I thought the ONE thing you couldn't change on the jacket was the shoulder size? They are tailoring everything else (sleeves a tad longer, expanding the back a little bit, expanding the butt area and of course making the pants the right length)

What would the jacket do if it was to small in the shoulders?

distinct

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommboy
I thought the ONE thing you couldn't change on the jacket was the shoulder size? They are tailoring everything else (sleeves a tad longer, expanding the back a little bit, expanding the butt area and of course making the pants the right length)

What would the jacket do if it was to small in the shoulders?

From what I understand, if it is too small in the shoulders you're basically **** outta luck unless you have a very fine tailor. I wouldn't even consider it; however, since you are buying what appears to be a NEW suit there isn't any reason to get one which is too small in the shoulders.

What I mean in my earlier post was the I get a jacket that fits close to *perfect* in the shoulders. The way my build is, that usually means that the chest fits well too, but the bottom of the jacket is too big, so I just have my tailor work on it. Keep in mind though that it's hard to take in dramatic amounts.

As far as too tight, too loose - that's really a matter of personal taste and common sense. Can't really give a second opinion though without photos.

tommboy

Reaction score
So what would constitute not fitting in the shoulders? If I can put it on and can move around does mean it's ok?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the smallest size which is comfortable

tommboy

Reaction score
well then it's definatly fine, would the suit look weird in the shoulders or something otherwise it fits great I can moveabd my body looks very defined in it

tommboy

Reaction score
what about the shoulders crinkling, is that something I should look for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads