• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Shoulder Divots - Why and how to fix?

americanninja

Reaction score
I have a tailored jacket, which has these obnoxious looking indents on the side of the jacket. I'm not sure why, as the shoulder width is not too big for my shoulders. I've measured all my suits. They are roughly the same as my other jacket which does not display these divots. Is it just because of the padding?

How can I fix this or how can I tell the tailor to not have this show on my next suit?

Thanks!

suit fit - sitting relaxed position.jpg
Suit fit - standing (side shot).jpg
Suit fit arm.jpg
suit fit back.jpg

bigwilly

Reaction score
A few things can cause this issue. In your case the natural pitch of your arm in relation to your shoulder was not taken into account or not accounted for properly in the suit construction. That is causing the wrinkling in the upper back of your arm and contributes to the dimple in the shoulder when your arms are hanging down at rest.

To fix the wrinkling will need to repitch the sleeve. To help remedy the dimple can try a pad. I don’t recommend either and just leave it as is. Make sure they do a better job next suit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are two separate issues, I think, which @bigwilly has touched on, and possibly one more (but I am not a tailor). I agree with the wrinkling on the back of the upper arm being due to a sleeve pitch issue. The dimple has nothing to do with shoulder padding or width. This has been discussed in the past and the root cause is that the armhole is distorting (usually because the armhole is not wide enough for your upper arm). Your upper arm is stretching the armhole wider than it was cut for, and this force causes the fabric at the top of the armhole to collapse, resulting in the divot. A possible related third issue is that I think your shoulders are pitched forward relative to the suit. I am not as sure about this, but it looks like your shoulders are pressing into the front of the armhole and there is empty space behind your upper arm. I wonder whether this could also contribute to the dimple as this could also be a reason for the armhole to be distorted.

Last edited:

americanninja

Reaction score
Thank you both! Great advice and informative. I will be sure to keep this in mind when I place my next order with my new tailor. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads