• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit jacket problem

Bates

Reaction score
I have the same problem with all jackets I try, there is always some air/space between my chest and the jacket, I can temporary solve the problem by pulling the jacket down a bit, but after a while the problem comes back.
Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Is the jackets to big, or to small... what is the problem?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your picture does not show much of the jacket to properly diagnose the issue or issues.
It could be your shoulders are too square for the cut of the jacket or the the chest is too small or you could have a full chest or the jacket is fused and has no shape to the chest or you could have long fronts that fall away and when you button the jacket it pushes the chest up and out. I could be one or a combination of these issues.

Bates

Reaction score
Okay, yeah I am slim and have a small chest but i have wide shoulders, can a tailor fix this problem or is there something else I can do about this? The jackets fits perfect except for this annoying problem.

Bates

Reaction score
No one else has this problem or know what I can do about it?

Sorry for bumping this thread

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
No one else has this problem or know what I can do about it?

Sorry for bumping this thread

despos is a master tailor if im not mistaken. trust his words. oh, and post more/better pictures. can't say much from what you have.

Bates

Reaction score
Here is (maybe) a better picture of my problem (sorry for wearing a t-shirt):

It was really hard to capture the problem on camera, so I had to pull in my chest so the gap becomes more obvious.
There is about 0.5/1.0 inch between the jacket and my chest.
Maybe I'm just overreacting, or should the jacket be more tight around the chest?

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Darts. You need 'em. And if you've got 'em, they need to be tightened.​

Bates

Reaction score
I only own 2 suits and i have never heard of the term "darts" before

Is that something that someone that is handy with needle and thread can add(?) or is it something that I have to bring to a tailor? Both suits are fairly cheap (~400USD) so I dont know if it worth paying x$ for getting it fixed.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
I only own 2 suits and i have never heard of the term "darts" before

Is that something that someone that is handy with needle and thread can add(?) or is it something that I have to bring to a tailor? Both suits are fairly cheap (~400USD) so I dont know if it worth paying x$ for getting it fixed.

Darts are the short vertical "seams" on the front of jackets (or back of shirts) that slim it down and give it a 3D shape.

Unless you get your shirts MTM or Bespoke, darts are necessary to make RTW fit.

why18

Reaction score
Since on this subject.

I got a BB Sack blazer and I didn't really like the sack look. Is it possible to add darts to give it some shape? Thanks!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this problem is cured by having a m2m or custom suit made.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I experience this depending on the suit maker. I've found a couple of Arnold Brant suits I like, but have had to send them all back STP because they ALL do this for me. I think I also have tried a Southwick suit that had this problem. I have fairly broad shoulders and I have just assumed that it's because the back piece of the suit is not large enough and it's pulling toward the back at the shoulders - if that makes sense. Anyhow, I'd consult a tailor and see what they say. Also just try on as many models from as many makers as you can to see what fits you best.

Bates

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers!

How much should I expect to pay to get some darts for my rtw suit? It's seems like a minor adjustment?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40