• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit jacket or sportcoat?

usaa

Reaction score
Hopefully I attached the file properly...

Can anyone tell me whether this jacket is or could be worn as a sportcoat? It is Valentino, I bought it at the thrift store for $6 but could not find any pants. There is no vent.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the fabric quite thin and crinkly, or is it just my eyes?

usaa

Reaction score
Feels pretty good to me, but I know nothing about it. It could be fake, although I think it's probably real.

usaa

Reaction score
doesn't anyone have any opinion as to whether I can wear this as a sportscoat? I'd just like to know if I should spend the money to get it tailored, if it would be ridiculous to wear it then I would obviously rather not.

Thanks.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it looks cheap and you shouldn't bother.

dennisdomino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usaa
doesn't anyone have any opinion as to whether I can wear this as a sportscoat? I'd just like to know if I should spend the money to get it tailored, if it would be ridiculous to wear it then I would obviously rather not.

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother spending the money in the hopes of being able to wear it as a sportscoat. I don't think you will be happy with it in the end. Sorry.

coachvu

Reaction score
I could see it going with a pair of jeans.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can pull it off with jeans as well. Those of who said the jacket looks cheap, would you have said the same if the guy said that the jacket is tailored by St. Andrews or Castangia?

gza

Reaction score
A pic of you wearing the jacket would be more helpful. I have an untrained eye, but I don't see anything in the pic that screams "cheap" to me.

I believe the question raised by Milanostyle was a good one. In the future, if you'd like to see more positive comments, perhaps you should just lie and say whatever you bought was made by [insert revered tailoring house here]. If you want a more objective opinion, you would do well to leave the maker out of the discussion altogether. After all, if you're after purely aesthetic advice, the name on the tag should be of no issue.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the make matters in this case. Personally, I'd never wear a striped jacket as a sportcoat. But that's just me. Plenty of designers have shown striped jackets as sportcoats. If it works for you, wear it.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I don't think the jacket looks cheap per se. I just think that fabric does not lend itself to being worn as an odd jacket. I also don't care for the lack of a vent in a sportcoat. Finally, if it were shown being worn, I could comment on the fit. I find that a coat that was part of a suit has a closer fit than a sportcoat.

borace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I also don't care for the lack of a vent in a sportcoat. Finally, if it were shown being worn, I could comment on the fit. I find that a coat that was part of a suit has a closer fit than a sportcoat.

Whilst I agree with you about the lack of a vent, I dont think that a slim fit is a bad thing in a sports jacket. I have several sports jackets with a different fit, depending on what I wear under them. The slimmest fit I wear with a cotton polo shirt and the looser ones with a shirt and sweater.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borace
Whilst I agree with you about the lack of a vent, I dont think that a slim fit is a bad thing in a sports jacket. I have several sports jackets with a different fit, depending on what I wear under them. The slimmest fit I wear with a cotton polo shirt and the looser ones with a shirt and sweater.

True about the fit. My favorite blazer is rather slim fitting. However, no one would ever think it was part of a suit. It does indeed depend on what is worn with it. It would look strange if it were worn with looser fitting trousers.

I also don't care for the jetted pockets.

usaa

Reaction score
Thanks for the constructive comments.

Why the disdain for Valentino anyway? Is this just in comparison to more high end stuff or is it considered cheap in general?

As several of you said, that doesn't really matter anyway - if I feel comfortable in it I will just wear it informally.

I'd take a picture in it but I'm preparing to leave town tomorrow so I don't have much time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads