• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket Length

crazyjackdavis

Reaction score
The topic of suit jacket length has been covered quite a bit on this forum, however I'd like a little clarification on this issue.

I'm approx. 6'1", just the tiniest bit shorter. I wear a shirt sized 16/36 so I have long arms.
Every tailor I go to wants to put me in a 42L suit jacket, but I always think they look long. I prefer the 42R look, but I'm a little concerned my tastes are off b/c of the 42L suggestions.

I did a measurement of two recent suit jackets I bought and they measure (on back of jacket, from crease to hem) 32.5 and 33. I'm having my tailor shorter one to 31.75 to see if I like the length.

My question is, will I notice a 3/4" differential in suit jacket length? Both the 42R and 42L cover my backside, but I think b/c I have long arms it throws the jacket length a little off.

What are your thoughts on this? Is anyone in a similar boat?

Thanks!

crpz32

Reaction score
I like my jacket bottom to be the same height as my knuckles when my arms are natually hanging by my sides..

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this throws me off too. I wear a 50L and a 16 in shirt sleeve length and have a long torso. I usually have an inch or so of jacket past my knuckle but every tailor I've been to has looked at me with consternation when I mentioned that the jacket length needs to be reduced.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crpz32
I like my jacket bottom to be the same height as my knuckles when my arms are natually hanging by my sides..

I have short arms - I find that jackets that I bought 15 years ago are too short because I went by that criteria. now I make sure that they cover ******.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyjackdavis
My question is, will I notice a 3/4" differential in suit jacket length?
Yes. I don't know why, but for some reason it's obvious. I'm 6'0" and only wear regulars, even in Paul Stuart, where they try to put me in semi-longs.

crazyjackdavis

Reaction score
I know it's a subjective topic, but I feel that shorter jackets (as long as it covers your seat) make you look a little more put together. If the jacket is too long, it looks sloppy.

yo!

Reaction score
I would recommend that you put on both jackets and compare them in a mirror to see which you prefer. Forget about your arm length, what is more important is your torso/legs proportions. Maybe put your arms behind your back, button the jacket and look into the mirror. Do this with both jackets. For added effect, try both jackets with both the matching pants (if a suit) and with different colored pants. Sometimes the length proportions are easier to notice with different color top and bottom. Decide which one you want based on that and then lengthen or shorten the arms on whichever one you choose. I had written a thread about jacket length if you want to take a quick look. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71584

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crazyjackdavis, my height is similar to yours, and I also wear a 36 shirt sleeve due to long arms. I wear regulars but for years salespeople would recommend longs, primarily to have enough fabric to make adjustments to the jacket sleeves (which were always hemmed too long, by the way). Regulars look far better on me.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am approx 6' and I almost always wear 42R. But it really depends on the cut of the jacket, i.e., length differentials between brands (RLPL is roughly 31", Black Label is roughly 32", Hugo Boss is roughly 33" for 42R) and how they contour on your back.

shm02

Reaction score
I have a similar dilemma. I am almost 6'1" (sleeve lenth 34", inseam 32") and seem to be between a 40R and a 40L. I recently bought two 40R sport coats and now think I may have made the wrong choice. I have read about every way to measure the correct jacket length (finger curl, second thumb knuckle, bottom of jacket halfway between floor and bottom of collar, and butt-cover rule). The problem is that these give different jacket lengths. Going by the butt rule, I think I'm in between. Looking at the site where I bought the jackets (polo.com) leads me to believe that the "bottom of jacket halfway between floor and bottom of collar" rule isn't accurate. The jackets on the models are significantly shorter than that.

I've included pictures of a blue blazer (40R), an off-white linen blazer (40R) and an older corduroy blazer (40L). They are all polo-made. All are unaltered. Look how long the corduroy sleeves are! Even the 40R sleeves could use a little shortening. Although I know you shouldn't judge the right jacket length by how the sleeves fit, I hesitate to believe that 40L is the right size for me when the 40R sleeves are even a bit too long. My long torso is killing me!

What do you think?

soupcxan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shm02
I've included pictures of...
Oh, ye gads! Take it all back, including those extra-baggy pants, and start over.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
trousers way too long.

black jacket, length a little long dont bother. sleeves are too long, cant tell any thing else rest its a black blur.

gray jacket . body length ok. sleeves too long.

white jacket. body length just makes it could be a tat longer. sleeves too long.

on the white and the gray jackets. the back view shows a left low shoulder. could pad it a bit but it looks rather extreem. the left hip on both is tight, let them out a bit. that always happens with a low shoulder.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I am 6' 0", and every salesman at every store where i've tried on suits(Bergdorf, Barney's, Saks, Paul Stuart) they all put me in a 42L. They all say I'm right in the middle of no-mans land and either a 42R or 42 would work, but they all say the way the jacket lays on my torso looks better in a 42L.

I did not know this when I got my first suit and I got a 42R. I then got 3 more suits of the same maker(HF) but I got them in a 42L. The 42R's the button stance is too high for my liking and the 42L the bottom was a little too long. The bottom of the jacket is maybe 1/2 inch too low so I had my tailor take it up a little. and that is what I've found the best solution for me.

Some makers varry, but pretty much everything I've tried I think looks better in 42L.

It's odd that 6' 0" is no-mans land when there are quite a few people around that height who probably have the same problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics