• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit jacket length (with pics)

intfxdx

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads on the subject, some says it should cover curvature of butts, other says it's about fingers, i read them but can't decide if i should go for regular or short. I am 5.8 feet 1. regular blazer. covers well behind but seems that finger test does not pass.. 31.5 from top of collor length Attachment 64093 Attachment 64094 2. suit jacket (the first button has drop, i just buttoned the second one, does not really cover all from back). 30.5 from top of collar length Attachment 64095 Attachment 64096 so which length should i go, short or regular ? Both may be passable but for future considerations if i decide to buy a new suit, should i go for a short or regular ? Thanks p.s. don't worry about overall fit but just length

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given the widely varying contrast between the two sets of pics, it's hard to see much of a difference.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore your fingers. If you lost your arms in an accident would you get a shorter jacket?

Both the pics you posted seem reasonable to me. I guess you could argue the longer one is safer for a suit. The shorter one more acceptable for a sport coat.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same exact jacket. I'm 5'10 for reference.
smile.gif
It's a beautiful SC!

aOLJw.jpg

BerryWall

Reaction score
The first is clearly better. Perhaps you need to have your sleeves shortened?

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hard to see without pictures showing your entire body (including feet).

The first jacket looks rather short for a regular, so I think it works for you.

The second is a touch short, but I don't mind it at all.

I'm 5'9 and find that in suits, I'm almost always a short. With blazers, it really depends on how short the manufacturer cuts it, as they tend to be a bit trendier.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
1. Fine.

2. Short, your upper body looks out of proportion. Kill it with fire.

intfxdx

Reaction score
the first one is true to size for a regular, it measures 31.5 from top of collar. Thanks guys for inputs, i will continue to regulars. Also it's much more easier to find deals on R rather than S. For sleeves, for sure they will be shortened. even don't have buttons on yet !

saiyar1

Reaction score
Why not put on some light colored pants so we can see the contrast in cloth for jacket #2??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads