• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Jacket/ Jeans

andy_4812

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm looking to pull off a suit jacket and jeans combination but i'm not sure were to start. I was thinking of wearing them combined with a t-shirt and this site...

(http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3D2%26hl%3Den)

...suggets I wear a contrasting one (which I presume will be brightly coloured as I intend on wearing a dark jacket) with a large design on the front.

Other then that what type of jacket should I wear? I presume it has to be a modern cut, quite short and well fitted. Can I wear pinstripped or does it have to be solid colour? and if so which colours are best? After that could you tell me what type of jeans/ shirt/ t shirt would go with the jacket and wether I should wear shoes or dark trainers etc.

As a final question whats the differnce between a sports jacket and a suit jacket and which would go better with jeans etc?

In terms of finance I usually shop at Debernhams/ Top man/ Burton and River Island so examples from these would be brilliant.

Regards,

Andy.

btw - i'm quite a slim person jacket size about 37/ 38ish

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit jacket is a jacket, which came from a suit and should only be worn with the correct suit trousers where as a sports jacket is ment to be worn be its self. In my opinion a T shirt with a suit jacket looks rediculous. If you were to do this I think loafers would look better then trainers.

Reaction score
3olxjm

MaxJones

Reaction score
With all due respect to the Sartorial Orthodoxy on this forum, here's my take. This is a classic rakish look, which when done well can be pretty cool.

1. Dark blue or dark grey, with faint or no stripes

2. Soft, natural shoulders. Shoulder pads are antithetical to this look

3. Contrasting tee with design, with or without a unironed dress shirt showing a bit of cuff

4. Your favorite jeans

5. Athletic shoes (trainers? - sorry is that British for tennis or running shoes?) or casual brown loafers or street shoes

You must find a quality jacket that is really well made, that's the key to this look, otherwise you'll look like a try-hard slob. Find a jacket made in Italy or the U.K., and thrift or discount shop for bonus points. Avoid anything made in China, now and forever going forward.

Add a thin sweater for bonus points and have fun.

~Max

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as "looks" go, I think the suit jacket and jeans has played out a bit for casual evening attire. Having said that, it is often my get away outfit for a buiness trip where I don't have a meeting until the next day. It allows me to be comfortable and not have to fold up my jacket in the suitcase. When it is put together well, I think it looks decent in the airport.

If you want to wear jeans with a jacket, I would say go for a sports coat or blazer. Try out some tweeds or corduroy in the winter and seersucker in the summer.

dsmolken

Reaction score
I see that look a lot, but only in airports and airplanes. It says "I'm flying for business but have no meetings today so my trousers are in my suitcase".

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look up Phat Guido's WAYWT threads where he pulls this look off effortlessly. That should give you a good start.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
look up Phat Guido's WAYWT threads where he pulls this look off effortlessly. That should give you a good start.
- thanks for the support.. Though I recently PHKED up my PhotoBucket account & lost all my links.. I will repost today some time - but I do it all the time.. All these rules are great as a foundation, but the real world is so much better when you experiment & experience the good & the bad.. The below are all suit jackets with white jeans - will look up for some with raw denim.
L1040396.jpg
L1030760.jpg
L1030696.jpg
L1030671.jpg

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
While I think you may get a better response in the streetwear sub-forum, I would say that this is a good look if you can do it.

I'd recommend hitting up your local thrift or vintage shop to find a suit coat. In this case, patterned is fine as long as it's not too obnoxious. I don't care for pinstripes or chalkstripes worn this way because it just looks too much like one of those English rowing jackets to me. The windowpane jacket in your link is nice as would be a solid.

If would think something that's slim cut with narrow lapels would be the best.

I used to have a sharkskin 1950's jacket with narrow lapels and a short body that was perfect with jeans and a t-shirt.

andy_4812

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. If this ideas dosn't work then I'll try for the blue blazer look:

I have a black jacket that's almsot exactly the same as this one - http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...-1&cmpId=gbase - single button, solid black the only difference is my jacket dosn't have flaps over the pockets.

Would this look good with dark blue jeans (not a skinny cut), black loafers and a quite tight bright t-shirt with a large design on the front (possibly Jimi Hendrix or something of that fashion).

I forgot to mention that this is a club outfit so jumpers are unfortunatly out of the question.

Cheers,

Andy.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? Try it out, see what you think - look in the mirror, walk away, look again. What are your first thoughts? Cool? Way Cool? Poser? It you don't trust your judgment, try it out on a friend, preferably a girl - wife, girlfriend, sister, whatever.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
It's not for everyone, but if you really know what you are doing, you can look extra good in a casual situation.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Now that the cooler weather is moving in I have been wearing jeans and sport coats quite a bit. I usually mix raw denim with brown sport coats of various patterns and blue OCBD. I also like to wear boots with jeans which is probably why I have been thinking about getting a pair of RM Williams Craftsman boots. Now if I just knew what size to order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads