• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit jacket has lump/wrinkle below collar between shoulders!

ultine

Reaction score
I bought a suit off the rack but paid pretty good money for it (let's just say it was almost the most expensive suit in the store)... so, not tailor made. Now that i have it at the house I am noticing a ridge/wrinkle/hump going from shoulder to shoulder that comes up over my suit collar. It doesn't come up very far, but certainly looks out of place to me. Is this the kind of think that we starving students just have to put up with because we can't afford to make a suit out of fresh fabric for our specific frame? or is this a pretty normal lump? thanks in advance for any input? should I send the suit back?

see attachment

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a competent tailor will be able to fix that.

Hans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
a competent tailor will be able to fix that.

+1

You have "square" shoulders. That's what causes the bump.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It could be bad hangers, as well as a lower back neck. A tailor will have to detach the collar and shorten the back neck. If he does it too much it will pull away from your shirt collar. Be careful.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
If he does it too much it will pull away from your shirt collar. Be careful.
What makes this more likely to happen? Does it depend on the amount of fabric?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Removing too much of the fabric under the collar will shorten the back neck. It will screw up the back balance if yanked down against the shirt collar, but when the back settles like it is supposed to there will be a dreaded gap between the collar and shirt.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
What makes this more likely to happen? Does it depend on the amount of fabric?

Yes, there is too much fabric on the back of the jacket, just below the collar. As patrickBOOTH wrote, the standard fix is to have a tailor remove the collar, cut the excess fabric from the back of the jacket, and re-attach the collar. Any good alterations tailor can do it.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Rest assured, however, this is a common problem and good tailors are used to dealing with it. That said, this isn't the time to cheap out on alterations. Get the best tailor you can find. You might be reluctant to invest the money, but if you don't your expensive suit is essentially worthless to you because you'll be conscious of the wrinkle.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try walking around with your head flexed FORWARD a bit.

Guaranteed that the little "wrinkle" will go away.

You are a "poor student" anyway; do you actually need a suit?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really try to avoid this alteration like the plague. I have an excellent tailor, but I have had some of my softer shouldered items rendered worthless by a "drop collar" alteration. My RLPL silk DB is the worst offender. What happens to mine sometimes, is that I wind up with an excess of material in the shoulders, and it renders them bumpy. Even when I have a small lump, I rarely let him touch it anymore.

Mike

franciscus

Reaction score
Ya'll, the orig question and subsequent advice was directed at a suit that had this collar lump off the rack. Consensus appears to be that excess cloth in back had to be removed.

What should one do w/ a suit that was perfect at the start but developed the collar lump after a semester or so of daily/ weekly use? Have this issue with a BB GF Fitz fit. Is it simply time for a trip to the cleaners?

Pls advise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads