• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit jacket dilemma

kashmir

Reaction score
hey guys,

tried an OTR suit jacket today with the following results:

1. size L: perfect jacket length, waist, arm length, shoulder seams at the correct places, but too tight around the shoulder/ upper chest area (I'm thick at chest area but small shoulders)

2. size XL: of course, longer and more roomy than L, but upper chest/ shoulder definitely fits.

will getting XL and altering the suit length (!) and width be feasible? or is it too reckless? basically, the L suit jacket with a tad bigger upper torso will be perfect- is there some way that the L jacket can be enlarged through tailoring?

thanks!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Solution: don't buy suit jackets that are sized with letters. You're not particularly likely to get something that fits well without spending way too much money on tailoring, especially since very few quality jackets (ie, worth spending money tailoring extensively) are going to have lettered sizes.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kashmir
hey guys,

tried an OTR suit jacket today with the following results:

1. size L: perfect jacket length, waist, arm length, shoulder seams at the correct places, but too tight around the shoulder/ upper chest area (I'm thick at chest area but small shoulders)

2. size XL: of course, longer and more roomy than L, but upper chest/ shoulder definitely fits.

will getting XL and altering the suit length (!) and width be feasible? or is it too reckless? basically, the L suit jacket with a tad bigger upper torso will be perfect- is there some way that the L jacket can be enlarged through tailoring?

thanks!

If you can go to the store and take a pic in each we can tell you if it's possible to alter the length. Shortening will depend in how high the pockets are placed and where the buttons are currently placed.

I once found a staple color 39L Polo suit for $60 almost new and it came out beautifully when i shortened it. It's a $1500 suit at retail, so the $50 to shorten was well worth it. I am afraid that a jacket that comes in letter sizes is not this type of situation to justify $50 in tailoring.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Solution: don't buy suit jackets that are sized with letters. You're not particularly likely to get something that fits well without spending way too much money on tailoring, especially since very few quality jackets (ie, worth spending money tailoring extensively) are going to have lettered sizes.

I have a Uniqlo jacket that I love that's just "XL"

That said, there are a million jackets in the world. If you aren't 100% sold, just move on and find another.

kashmir

Reaction score
these are uniqlo also. yes, this is a student budget purchase, but I will go a long way for fit. I know a cheap local tailor that I can communicate well with... nevertheless, we shall see. I will try to post fit pics, thanks guys!

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these are uniqlo also. yes, this is a student budget purchase, but I will go a long way for fit. I know a cheap local tailor that I can communicate well with... nevertheless, we shall see. I will try to post fit pics, thanks guys!

Uniqlo jackets are kinda irregular, so try on multiples of the same size if you're in the neighborhood. One is likely better than the others.

kashmir

Reaction score
here are the pics lads. the first 4 are XL while the last 3 are L. hopefully they are clear enough. I'm 6 feet tall, 170 lbs.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Agree with other posters. Letters are for sweaters. Brooks Brothers pulls this with their cheapo line of casual sports coats and the L is too small and the XL is WAY too big and I am a full 44R.

kashmir

Reaction score
okay... what sort of alterations will I need to do to improve the XL? is the button stance and length alright? sleeves are no-brainer, as always.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a cheap nasty garment for the size to be denoted in letters in thus way.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
okay... what sort of alterations will I need to do to improve the XL? is the button stance and length alright? sleeves are no-brainer, as always.

I think you're going to end up having to spend more on tailoring than the garment is worth. There's nothing wrong with cheap jackets, provided they fit to begin with. This one doesn't, so move on and find one that's a better fit, even if you have to spend a bit more money. You'll make up for it in tailoring costs, and get better fabric and construction to boot.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
If you must, get the XL as it doesn't look like it's trying to choke the life out of you.

Disagree, the shoulders and armholes look much nicer.

kashmir

Reaction score
thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the responses. one final question though, if you're being really nitpicky, how are these jackets really supposed to fit (judging by the images)? will be a good reference for me to look for a better jacket.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arms are a little long and the jacket's a bit short. Either you're a mutant, or the jacket's cut is unusual. I'm not kidding about trying on multiples of the same size. Uniqlo jackets are irregular as hell. Some may fit you much nicer than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads