• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Takster

Reaction score
I recently had a Brooks Brothers 1818 suit dry cleaned, and it was returned with wrinkled lapels and bubbling above the left jacket pocket.

Here is a closeup with the damage circled:

I had the dry cleaners press the jacket again, but this bubbling is still present. The bubbling is smaller that the ones I've seen on this forum. Is this suit ruined?

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
Is the jacket fused or does it have a floating canvas?

I would try steaming it from the back lightly. . .

But if it's fused I don't know much else that can be done.. it might be permanent, then I would suggest buying a new, canvassed suit.

But who knows. There's always someone on here that knows more than someone else.

Takster

Reaction score
The jacket is half canvassed. I'll steam it from the back per your recommendation.

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
It's odd that a canvassed suit would do something like that. The cleaners might have done something odd to it or applied too much heat. I can't be of much more assistance seeing as how I don't understand why a canvassed suit would really bubble.

Let me know if it does the trick.. I only have experience with this working with my Zegna and my Joseph Abboud.

Best of luck to you, mate!

MisterFu

Reaction score
It's odd that a canvassed suit would do something like that. The cleaners might have done something odd to it or applied too much heat. I can't be of much more assistance seeing as how I don't understand why a canvassed suit would really bubble.

Let me know if it does the trick.. I only have experience with this working with my Zegna and my Joseph Abboud.

Best of luck to you, mate!

Half canvassed jackets still have a front fused interlining from top to bottom just like a non-canvassed jacket. The fusing tends to be lighter, since it doesn't have to provide as much structural support to the jacket front, but it's there none-the-less.

As such, it is possible the fusing has delaminated (a problem that doesn't occur much nowadays as fusibles have become much better) which would, IMHO, point to a defect in the manufacturing of the jacket. If it's new, I'd take it back to BB and demand they do something about it. If it's an older jacket, you've just been victim of fusible de-lamination and you'll now hear from all the purists as to why fully canvassed garments with zero fusibles are the only way to go.

You could take it to a tailor and have him open it up to confirm what is going on.

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
"...You could take it to a tailor and have him open it up to confirm what is going on."

I completely agree here--for peace of mind. And it may be possible the tailor finds a (partial) solution.

Takster

Reaction score
I had my tailor and a sales advisor at Brooks Brothers examine the jacket. They concluded that the dry cleaner used too much heat when pressing the jacket. The jacket is six months old, and it was the first time at the dry cleaners.

Dry cleaning. Not even once.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't look like bubbling in this picture. Looks like the inside pocket was folded in weird way or something wasn't flat in the lining and made an impression in the cloth when pressed. What has been tried to rectify the impression?

MisterFu

Reaction score
Doesn't look like bubbling in this picture. Looks like the inside pocket was folded in weird way or something wasn't flat in the lining and made an impression in the cloth when pressed. What has been tried to rectify the impression?

I might be totally wrong, but it looks like bubbling to me as the bubble line ends abruptly at the panel edge.

I had my tailor and a sales advisor at Brooks Brothers examine the jacket. They concluded that the dry cleaner used too much heat when pressing the jacket. The jacket is six months old, and it was the first time at the dry cleaners.

Dry cleaning. Not even once.

Was this a Southwick (made in the US / Own Make) 1818 suit or one of their Italian contracted jobs? I don't think this should have happened given that even the cheapest fused crap in the back of my closet can deal with getting dry-cleaned once and a while without the fusing delaminating (and some of that stuff is decades old). That said, it is possible you were the victim of a dry-cleaner that really is that terrible.

Takster

Reaction score
Was this a Southwick (made in the US / Own Make) 1818 suit or one of their Italian contracted jobs? I don't think this should have happened given that even the cheapest fused crap in the back of my closet can deal with getting dry-cleaned once and a while without the fusing delaminating (and some of that stuff is decades old). That said, it is possible you were the victim of a dry-cleaner that really is that terrible.

It's an 1818 suit made by Southwick in the U.S.

And the dry cleaner is really that terrible. The only other time I've seen similar damage is on suits that are several years old, and drycleaned frequently.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude next time do not bring the issue as an investigation-in-progress to your BB "style advisor" for him to opine on - instead go in 100% sure it's bubbling (I'd say it is) and raise hell w the mgr. Even if you've bought zip else from BB you'd still have a reasonable shot at an OTR identical replacement. Esp. w a purch so new.

MisterFu

Reaction score
Dude next time do not bring the issue as an investigation-in-progress to your BB "style advisor" for him to opine on - instead go in 100% sure it's bubbling (I'd say it is) and raise hell w the mgr. Even if you've bought zip else from BB you'd still have a reasonable shot at an OTR identical replacement. Esp. w a purch so new.
+1

jeremyleediaz

Reaction score
I mean, okay I partially agree here. I wouldn't necessarily like to bash or attack the retailer if it isn't really the retailer's fault. I would probably go to the cleaners and have them fix or replace it. Especially if they "used too much heat"

I mean I had a JCPenney suit once that I tried to press myself and ended up frying and that still didn't bubble. They must have applied way too much heat, or BB must have defective suit lining.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mean, okay I partially agree here. I wouldn't necessarily like to bash or attack the retailer if it isn't really the retailer's fault.[COLOR=FF00AA] I would probably go to the cleaners and have them fix or replace it. Especially if they "used too much heat"[/COLOR]

I mean I had a JCPenney suit once that I tried to press myself and ended up frying and that still didn't bubble. They must have applied way too much heat, or BB must have defective suit lining. 

And just how would you be able to prove that?

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be water from a stone trying to pin it on the dry cleaner. I genuinely think the heat was probably normal and it was BB's fault...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads