Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit jacket at dinner????

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stavebomb, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Stavebomb

Stavebomb Member

I have reservations at a "fancy" restaurant tonight for valentines day. I wear a suit to work every day, but am still young enough to not be comfortable with the etiquette. Am I supposed to wear my suit jacket while eating, or should I take it off?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

I second that. Keep your jacket on.

4. JumpinHowie

JumpinHowie Senior member

If the occasion is nice enough to require a coat, then you leave it on for the entire event.

As my grandma (the queen of etiquette, at least in my book) always said "A gentleman never removes his coat".

I have fond memories of being at family wedding in the middle of summer and siting around a table with my uncles jokeing about who would passout first from the heat. They said atleast if we passed out, we would look good doing it and Grandma would be proud.

5. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

This.

6. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I agree with what has been said, IF the location is appropriate.

I just hope you're not wearing a suit into a casual restaurant. You'd look VERY out of place. I've once seen a guy in full suit and a woman in a cocktail dress eating in a local family-run restaurant. Needless to say, everyone was staring at them.

ETA: nvm, just realized you wrote "fancy" restaurant.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

7. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I sometimes like to keep it buttoned because it holds the shape of the jacket better :thumbs-up:

8. recondite

recondite Senior member

Well, a gentleman is supposed to always keep his waist covered, hence the popularity of waistcoats, vests, cummerbunds, and double breasted jackets in men's fashion; all of which are to remained fastened while seated or any other activity, including vigorous dancing..

If not wearing a vest, waistcoat, or cummerbund, a proper gentleman should keep his jacket buttoned at all times, even if it is a single breasted lounge jacket, sport jacket, dinner jacket, or smoking jacket. The popularity of double breasted jackets, is do primarily to the fact that neither a waistcoat or vest are required underneath, although some gentlemen do opt for a single breasted vest if they expect to remove their jacket at sometime during their activities or rest.

But then you have then you have the prevalence of Hobo Chic and moronic tailoring, that Italians would call sprezzatura.[​IMG]

I posting this earlier, but this video clip is appropriate to view here again. It demonstrates how gentlemen should remain attired during vigorous and not so vigorous activity:

Note that the stroller's they wear at the end are every bit as "cumbersome" as a tuxedo/dinner jacket worn in the evening; in fact they are equivalent informal attire before and after 6pm respectively.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

9. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

When I was growing up, we lived across the back yard from my grandparents, and my brother and I would often hang there in the evenings. They had a teevee. My gaffer was a conservative ol German (American, though), Don Doig, who was director of testing and maintenance for GM. He ran the GM proving ground, the largest facility of its kind in the world.

When he came home from the grounds in the evening, he would put his hat on the little table for it outside the bedroom door, and come in the living room to his La-Z-Boy, taking off his jacket. Loosen the tie, unbutton the top button, roll up the sleeves of the shirt. Newspaper laying on the chair, he would pick it up and sit down. Minnie would arrive right then with the highball. Read the paper.

Supper (we didn't have dinner in Michigan) would occur an hour or so later, the second highball having been tactically delivered. Minnie would appear in the doorway from the dining room (calling through the house is not done), "Supper, Don". Supper would be set at the kitchen table, not the big dining room one. Grampa would fold the paper, maintaining his place, and get up. Button the collar, set and adjust the tie, roll down and button or link the cuffs, put on and button the jacket, walk out to the kitchen and sit down for supper. This is at home, on a weekday night.

I'd like to spruce it up and tell you whether he unbuttoned his jacket when he sat down, but I don't remember. I'd like to think he did.

I was 6 or 7, so this would be sixty years ago.

10. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I just forget to unbutton it!

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

In most restaurants, just take it off when you sit down. A few here would not but these days it is no great deal.

12. js4design

js4design Senior member

I only remove the jacket if my gf is cold (which is frequently). Otherwise keep the jacket on.

13. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

To suffer with her?

14. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

Then you are too young to be dining with a lady in a "fancy" restaurant.

15. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Nonsense.