• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit Jacket as sport coat

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pattern is not too busy so it looks solid from a distance. Could work well with jeans (if that's your thing), you could probably do khakis and perhaps grey trousers without looking to odd - hard to tell from the auction pic

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's definitely an orphaned suit coat. But it would look good just as in the auction picture. Perhaps with a Polo shirt and jeans.

I notice that you won the auction for $.01, but that shipping and the required insurance, was $23.50! I guess the seller didn't think it was going to sell for a high price! But you still did OK.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're getting ripped off on the shipping.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
You're getting ripped off on the shipping.

Yeah, he's getting ripped off on the shipping(actual cost is probably about$9.00), but then, did he "Steal" the coat for $.01?

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It may not be worth the cost, but it would look more like a sportcoat and less like an orphaned suit coat if you replaced the buttons with some a bit more contrasting.

gefinzi

Reaction score
I generally hate suit coats as sportscoats, but for this one I'm on the fence. It would definitely work if it was textured (more like corduroy). As it stands I think it would still fly.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Reaction score
I think it will work pretty well, but replacing the buttons would be a good idea. If you're in the shape for it, you might consider getting the waist taken in to give it a little closer fit.

Tuerney1

Reaction score
Well, as others said, the more casual you are, the better a sportcoat it will make.

With jeans...just fine.

With chinos...not bad.

With dressier pants...borderline.

One thing I do like orphaned suit coats for (especially really great quality but fitted pinstripe ones) is a sort of rock and roll look with a black shirt, jeans and boots.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. Looks like people generally agree that it will work as a sports coat. As for the the shipping being $20.00, the way I look at it... I knew that was what he was charging when I placed my initial bid, I probably wouldn't have continued to bid if it went that much more above what I paid for it. As it stands I consider it a pretty decent deal for what I paid. Thanks again.
Grad

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.