Suit Jacket as sport coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gradstudent78, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

The pattern is not too busy so it looks solid from a distance. Could work well with jeans (if that's your thing), you could probably do khakis and perhaps grey trousers without looking to odd - hard to tell from the auction pic

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

EDIT: Misread post.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

It's definitely an orphaned suit coat. But it would look good just as in the auction picture. Perhaps with a Polo shirt and jeans.

I notice that you won the auction for $.01, but that shipping and the required insurance, was $23.50! I guess the seller didn't think it was going to sell for a high price! But you still did OK.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You're getting ripped off on the shipping. [​IMG]

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

You're getting ripped off on the shipping. [​IMG]

Yeah, he's getting ripped off on the shipping(actual cost is probably about$9.00), but then, did he "Steal" the coat for $.01?

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It may not be worth the cost, but it would look more like a sportcoat and less like an orphaned suit coat if you replaced the buttons with some a bit more contrasting.

8. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

I generally hate suit coats as sportscoats, but for this one I'm on the fence. It would definitely work if it was textured (more like corduroy). As it stands I think it would still fly.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think it will work pretty well, but replacing the buttons would be a good idea. If you're in the shape for it, you might consider getting the waist taken in to give it a little closer fit.

10. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

Well, as others said, the more casual you are, the better a sportcoat it will make.

With jeans...just fine.

With chinos...not bad.

With dressier pants...borderline.

One thing I do like orphaned suit coats for (especially really great quality but fitted pinstripe ones) is a sort of rock and roll look with a black shirt, jeans and boots.

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

The men's magazines have shown for years wearing a suit jacket as a sportscoat. I have enough sportscoats and suits that I don't need to do it, but would if I had a certain outfit in mind.

12. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Hi, Just wanted to thank everyone who replied. Looks like people generally agree that it will work as a sports coat. As for the the shipping being $20.00, the way I look at it... I knew that was what he was charging when I placed my initial bid, I probably wouldn't have continued to bid if it went that much more above what I paid for it. As it stands I consider it a pretty decent deal for what I paid. Thanks again.
    Grad